CPOworkshop.com Experience

Page 2 of 8
Nova wrote:

Domain Name: cpoworkshop.com Domain Created on : 18-nov-2004 That is 5 years and 11 months old.
(retrieved from searchenginegenie.com).
Bill
Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's just too coincidental that I "found my drill" on my dad's birthday (don't go singing about Blueberry Hill"...). Like I've said at the crap tables, sometimes ya gotta believe! :)
Just sayin', Bill
(and don't going singing any of Kenny Rogers' song!).
On 11/10/2010 7:27 PM, Bill wrote:

CPO did the _exact_ same thing to me when I ordered a DeWalt right angle guide that fits both their plunge saw's guide rails and the Festool guide rails.
An "in-stock" item on their website, put on backorder and my card charged in the interim.
Raised hell with both CPO (I refused to cancel the order and let them off the hook) and my credit card company and ended up getting the part much sooner than I would have according to their original email ... coincidental? I think not.
This is an apparent "business practice" that they indulge in when it is convenient to them and I personally will not allow them to indulge by tying up my $$/credit, period.
Don't take this lying down, Bill ... you can most likely both get the good price, and not have your card charged prior to shipment if you firmly refuse to allow them to get away with it. Your CC company needs to get involved for starters. You may even get the item sooner.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Was this DeWalt angle guide the equivalent to the Festool 491588 combination angle unit Karl? If so, how well does it work with the Festool guide rails? I've been considering the Festool unit, but wouldn't mind saving a few sheckles by substituting the DeWalt guide as long as it works to specs.
On 11/11/2010 7:43 AM, Upscale wrote:

No, the DeWalt I purchased was the 90 degree guide and is not adjustable:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I do have the Festool 491588 also.
For quick 90 degree cuts the DeWalt is much easier/quicker to handle, but I did have to file off just a scooch of the shoulder (at the radius bend) on a Festool clamp in order to use the clamp with it ... just a few seconds with a bastard file was all it took, NBD).
Mine is accurate, while some report having a problem with the accuracy.
If you have a need for 90 degree cuts quite often, my advice would be to not bother with the Festool adjustable angle guide at all and spring for the DeWalt.
That said, there are plenty of ways to skin either cat and I would not consider either component essential _unless_ you are batch cutting angled parts, then the Festool adjustable would be the way to go.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/11/2010 8:28 AM, Swingman wrote:

Thank you for sharing story and insight. You described my goal, get the good price and not have my credit card charged until my order is shipped. I emailed them last night. My next step is the credit card company since you suggested it.
At least both of us have described our experiences so far for the sake of others who may be paying attention.
Thanks everyone for the wake-up call. I will share the outcome.
Bill
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 07:28:24 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Also, file a complaint with the BBB. Even if they are not a member,the BBB will note the complaint and someone inquiring in the future will learn of your bad experience.

On 11/11/2010 12:31 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I'll give them a chance to take "the high road" from here. If they choose not to, then I'll try to persuade them. No reply yet from the note I sent last night.
Bill

Interesting. Several years ago, I made a large order to Griz on a Friday and they gave me a 6 week delivery date. I sighed and agreed. The freight company called the following Monday morning and delivered that afternoon. I didn't hold 3-day delivery against Griz. ;)

I think you're overreacting to the hilt here, Swingy. Purchases tie up only the amount of purchase, and you expected to do that, anyway. What's the fuss?

I don't see what the big deal is. I want the part, I order it, I expect to pay for it then, whether or not it's backordered. That's the standard for special orders, and I believe always has been. Why should a regular order/backorder be different?
But if I were to cancel my order which had not already been shipped, I'd expect them to return those funds to my account THAT DAY, too.
-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger
On 11/11/2010 5:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Don't look now C-Less, but, according to the Fair Credit Billing Act, it is illegal to not ship within the advertised time period; AND it is also a violation of the merchants agreement with VISA and MasterCard to bill their cards prior to shipping.
That's why Visa took my side ... I don't write the rules, Bubba, but only a dummy doesn't learn them to preclude being taken advantage of.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

-------------------------------- That's also how you prevent a merchant playing the "float".
If allowed, it becomes a free "Cash Advance" for the merchant, which is another reason the bank cards don't like it.
$50 per customer, 500 customers puts you in the $25K ball park in a hurry.
Lew .
On 11/11/2010 5:53 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I know how much you just love debit cards, Lew <g, d, & r> ... but just imagine that a gas station can put a hold on $100 on a "pay at the pump" debit transaction for up to 3 days ... might be more in some locales.
College kids always seem to find this out the hard way, but the banks love the overdraft fees ... :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

------------------------------------- Having spent several years working with ethnic contractors and distributors was good enough to qualify as a "street business PhD".
You don't learn that kind of stuff in a classroom.
Could tell you "Bernie" stories for hours involving Bernie, an electrical contractor, who carried the tattoo on his arm and the only one of his family to make it out of Auschwitz alive.

Such a 'hold' does _not_ get the gas station any money, nor is the money taken out of your account.
In fact, if the money is sitting in an interest-beaing account you are _still_ earning the interest on it.
A 'hold' is simply a 'reservation' for a claim of up to that amount. If the merchant is 'doing things right' the hold -should- come off when the 'actual charges' are run.
If not, there is basis for a small-claims action against the merchant for any actual out-of-pocket losses (e.g. the overdraft fees0 suffered as a result of the merchant's actions.
On 11/13/2010 7:49 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

The point is, Robert, is that the money is not available to you for subsequent purchases.
With most banks they will either be denied if the hold exceeds the amount remaining in the account after the gas purchase, or allowed to go through with an overdraft fee attached.
College students get bit by this constantly due to mainly having low balances in their accounts.

Has nothing to do with the specific issue under discussion.

Absolutely NOT true in the scenario CLEARLY stated above: ""Pay at the Pump" with a debit card", and these holds can last for 72 hours, with the funds being held not available.

You miss the point completely ... say you have $75 in the account and "pay at the pump" for $20 worth of gas. You should now have $55 for another debit card purchase, right?
Wrong! ... No part of that $55 is available to you to use for future purchases until the "hold" is lifted, in some cases up to 72 hours later:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/16/eveningnews/consumer/main855673.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IphXZf_ib18

The way I had my college age daughter try to get around this was to go in the convenience store and pay for a specific dollar amount of gas using her debit card pin. Even this was not always successful at some Major oil company gas stations, namely Chevron, right across the street from the major campus entrance.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I must have missed the original post and didn't realize that they had not shipped within the advertised time period.

I've never been taken advantage of in that regard. <shrug>
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling
snip

I had the opposite experience just this week. Tried to order a book from a company in Germany (only place I could find it) but couldn't find a place to pay after entering my name and address and gave up. Imagine my surprise when the book showed up in the mail! They included instructions on how to pay them. If I need any of their other products, they will get the order!

Swingman wrote:

Swingman, Inspired by your comments, I just sent an email message to the corporate level (Delta/Porter-Cable) regarding their "Authorized Delta Online Retailer". One might infer CPO is violating their policy of "7-day delivery for in stock merchandise". Perhaps that will motivate them to ship my DP a little faster..
Bill
"Swingman" wrote:

------------------------------------- Sooner or later people will figure out what a screwing debit cards truly are.
You have better odds playing Russian roulette and taking the first shot with all chambers filled.
In the mean time, assume the position while the banks just smile.
Having spent several years working with ethnic contractors and distributors was good enough to qualify as earning a "street business PhD".
You learn there are lots of ways to play the "float".
You don't learn that kind of stuff in a classroom.
Could tell you "Bernie" stories for hours involving Bernie, an electrical contractor, who carried the tattoo on his arm and was the only one of his family to make it out of Auschwitz alive.
His reputation proceeded him., but you had to love the guy.
When all was said and done, he was a lot of fun.
Lew

Why?