Course hand saw for resawing

I have one of those and a Sandvik rip saw... I also have a Lynx 12 pt cross cut, Disten 8 pt crosscut and a 12 pt Sandvik cross cut. Bought them all new... have L-N dovetail, L-N cross cut back saw, and an L-N tenon saw also. They all work fine...

When the Albany NY Woodcraft closed I picked up the Lynx saws on "final days" clearance. This after going there looking for an 1/8" chisel after teaching a dovetailing class for NWA... I got all three items for $140 including tax. Seemed like a good deal at the time. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I posted those references too... back on 5/30 before this discussion spun out of control! LOL

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I notice they do not seem to be "breasted", like Pax saws:

nb

Reply to
notbob

Snip

Note the word setting

Reply to
steve robinson

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

The point is its set, something you stated ripsaws do not have.

Reply to
steve robinson

The Document and I agree. It states that "SET" is from ZERO (0) inches to approximately 1/10" of offset. Zero set is for very hard wood. The ground blade allows slippage. In soft woods, sticky woods with sap - use 1/10" and that means +/- .1" so the kerf is blade width to way out there near a 1/4"! .2 + width of the blade.

It says you have to set the set yourself by hand. It depends on the work intended for the saw.

One could have full set and waste a lot of high quality and expensive wood or have it as small as possible. This saw has a taper ground blade which allows for zero or almost zero for exotic wood.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

snip

You do realize a taper ground saw isn't ground uniformly along its length plus they are not ground to the teeth

Reply to
steve robinson

Read. It says set your set by hand. If you need 2" wavy for your needs then do it. The taper is in the upper part as that is where the drag/tug occurs. Close to the teeth there is more power in the saw than drag. If you need more add more. If you are cutting a $50 board, then use what you want to do.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

So you now finally agree ripsaws have set

Reply to
steve robinson

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:Ejo8z.54356 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx38.iad:

Not sure why I'm getting back in this, but no, it does not say "set your set by hand". It says the manufacturer of the saw performs the setting by hand (that particular manufacturer does pretty much everything by hand).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Reply to