Course hand saw for resawing

Page 2 of 4
Only for 67 years. I have my 67 year old saw in the shop. I'ts about 1/3 of the size of the full size.
Martin
On 6/7/2016 9:43 AM, John McCoy wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 21:20:30 -0500, Martin Eastburn wrote:

As others have pointed out, you seem to have your own definition of set.
carrying a cross.
What is your definition of set ?
I have saws from 1/3 size to full size to double buck size. And a pull saw for backup.
Martin
On 6/7/2016 11:29 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 22:54:35 -0500, Martin Eastburn wrote:

http://www.blackburntools.com/articles/saw-tooth-geometry/index.html
See the last page or so.
Since I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that you're trolling, I won't be responding to this thread any more. If you're not trolling, and live in a universe where "set" means what you say it means, and not what the rest of the universe says it means, more power to you.
carrying a cross.
Trolling - see if you have 20+ years in the group I suspect I have more.
Now look at Cut 10 figure 23 rip teeth. Notice the non-diamond shape and the slight bend. That isn't set to my thinking - I quote from the article by Isaac Smith:
"Set varies from none in saws that are heavily taper ground and used in dry hardwoods, to a hundredth of an inch or more in coarse saws used in wet woods."
I don't cut much green wood with a hand saw. Double Buck yes. Hardwoods and dry has "None to a hundred of an inch" None for hardwoods and hundred of an inch for green wood.
Thanks for the facts that you don't seem to read. Look below figure 24. And then the example figure 25.
None means ZERO(0).
The pictures have to show something to show the measurement area.
Martin
On 6/8/2016 5:20 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 00:10:25 -0500, Martin Eastburn

Figure 24 quite clearly shows set in a ripsaw in the link below, i have already provided details of manuals showing set in ripsaws , if you look on the disstons archives it quite clearly shows ripsaws have set.
Disstons produced one ripsaw for a very short time designed to cut dry hardwood without set, it was discontinued, although it was an excellent saw tradesmen found by putting a set on it aactually performed far better.
Heavily taper ground rip saws although experimented with never really found favour , they where in general heavier gauge steel to facilitate the heavy taper needed to accommodate free movement through the timber, couldn't cope well with resin or sap and still had issues with binding, hence the reason Disstons dropped the 120 from its line, its use unless set was extremely limited. Its quite clear your assertion that ripsaws were not set is wrong conformed by your own evidence.
No one has denied that some manufacturers experimented with no set ripsaws , however the end result was they were usually discontinued after a very short time because of the limited use.

You are looking at green or almost green pine. That needs some set.
If you are cutting hardwood, walnut, Oak, etc NONE is the word in the sentence. See the QUOTE - that is letter to letter from Isaac Smith.
Martin
On 6/9/2016 2:01 AM, steve robinson wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:03:38 -0500, Martin Eastburn

I don't know any saw manufacturer in the western world that produces as a stock item mass produced ripsaws without set of some kind

I haven't seen a ripsaw in a hardware store in 40 years. I suppose you could buy one on line. But having a ground saw isn't that uncommon. They do that on table saw blades and other products.
Martin
On 6/10/2016 3:37 AM, steve robinson wrote:

says...

Fine, Martin, since you're the world's expert on saws, tell us where to get a taper ground handsaw, new, today.
And if you can't, then grow up and admit that you're being an ass.

Eat your words.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/147407/lynx-wclr26-ripping-saw-26-x-412-tpi.aspx Product Information: The taper ground blade on this 26" Lynx rip handsaw provides friction-free cutting, and the hollowing of the back reduces weight, improving balance and letting the saw tip start a cut in confined areas. Each Lynx saw is individually produced by a craftsman who ensures that you get a reliable tool that holds a sharp cutting edge, and will not fail under constant hard use. Setting and grinding of the teeth is done by hand so that proper tooth geometry is maintained for the best cutting action. Handles are carefully crafted and fitted to blades with solid brass mounting bolts. - See more at: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/147407/lynx-wclr26-ripping-saw-26-x-412-tpi.aspx#sthash.WUJRIPRW.dpuf
Martin
On 6/11/2016 5:22 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

says...

Eat what words? I told you to put up or shut up. To my surprise, you put up instead of whingeing. Well done.

On 06/12/2016 6:06 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

But it _still_ has SET--
"Teeth precisely set and sharpened to ensure the best possible cut - See more at: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/147407/lynx-wclr26-ripping-saw-26-x-412-tpi.aspx#sthash.WUJRIPRW.ifG7zTUr.dpuf "

I notice they do not seem to be "breasted", like Pax saws:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pF886&cat=1,42884,63338
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/glossary.html
nb
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

I have one of those and a Sandvik rip saw... I also have a Lynx 12 pt cross cut, Disten 8 pt crosscut and a 12 pt Sandvik cross cut. Bought them all new... have L-N dovetail, L-N cross cut back saw, and an L-N tenon saw also. They all work fine...
When the Albany NY Woodcraft closed I picked up the Lynx saws on "final days" clearance. This after going there looking for an 1/8" chisel after teaching a dovetailing class for NWA... I got all three items for $140 including tax. Seemed like a good deal at the time. ;~)
On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 23:46:11 -0500, Martin Eastburn

Note the word setting
Doesn't say what set value in the display. The documents say set is from zero to .1". Zero is set just not much. Martin
On 6/12/2016 5:44 PM, steve robinson wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 22:11:27 -0500, Martin Eastburn

The point is its set, something you stated ripsaws do not have.

The Document and I agree. It states that "SET" is from ZERO (0) inches to approximately 1/10" of offset. Zero set is for very hard wood. The ground blade allows slippage. In soft woods, sticky woods with sap - use 1/10" and that means +/- .1" so the kerf is blade width to way out there near a 1/4"! .2 + width of the blade.
It says you have to set the set yourself by hand. It depends on the work intended for the saw.
One could have full set and waste a lot of high quality and expensive wood or have it as small as possible. This saw has a taper ground blade which allows for zero or almost zero for exotic wood.
Martin
On 6/13/2016 3:05 AM, steve robinson wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 22:32:01 -0500, Martin Eastburn
snip
You do realize a taper ground saw isn't ground uniformly along its length plus they are not ground to the teeth