Course hand saw for resawing

It wasnt very successful and most tradesmen of the day on re sharpening added a small amount of set.

Reply to
steve robinson

I never said use a crosscut for rip sawing

My information goes back to 1945 a carpentry manual written by JK Mc Kay which i have just pulled off my bookshelf confirms what i have said , i am a highly qualified professional carpenter joiner / cabinet maker of a similar age to yourself , i still use many of the traditional tools , have several disstons hanging on my shop wall, wooden planes infact my pride and joy was a Disstons owned by my grandfather handed down to my uncle who then he gave it to me Saw was manufactured in 1880 , unfortunately some low life stole it along with a boxed set of moulding planes (full set)

I too know what im talking about , i am a Fellow of the institute of carpenters of some 30 years have worked on many historical buildings.

The information is also freely available on several craft web sites.

Disstons was one of the first manufactures to hollow back his saws which allowed for a lighter set giving a far better, more accurate cut .

Steve

Reply to
steve robinson

That "without any set" is what prompted the replies. Maybe you meant otherwise, but if not your experience seems lacking :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

When you have set the teeth goes side to side. An unset blade the teeth are full width and at most wave or are in line. The hacksaw blade is one example of a wave blade.

The teeth on crosscut are triangles. Have sharp teeth and are not full metal.

The teeth on a rip saw are full width of the blade.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

On 06/03/2016 9:51 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote: ...

But they're still _set_...

Fig. 3

Reply to
dpb

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:Gmr4z.286$ snipped-for-privacy@fx24.iad:

You appear to have a unique definition of "set". Since your definition is different from everyone else's, your comments are hard to understand.

Hacksaw blades have set. It's not alternate tooth set as would be done on a crosscut or ripsaw for wood, but the teeth are still set.

So are the teeth on a crosscut saw. As you say they are triangles (viewed from the top), the trailing edge of the triangle is full width of the blade.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

No way near the set of a set tooth of a crosscut or Gen purpose blade. Just because the whole tooth not a pointed one is shifted slightly doesn't mean it is set. Set teeth alternate and are pointed for sharp cutting of grain. Rip blades chop the grain and slide between strands of the grain on the side of the saw.

Ripping is done in long power strokes. Crosscutting is short and jerky strokes. The pull saw was developed for more control in the crosscut.

Mart> > ...

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

John look at a tooth. Rip is full width and is all there. A crosscut is angle cut to make and half of the metal is gone.

The shape and use of the tooth is completely different.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

The way to tell isn't to squint at the teeth; rather, make a cut and look at the kerf. A ripsaw makes a flat-bottom kerf, because the teeth are chisel-like with the edge perpendicular to the cut, while crosscut teeth have alternate bevel (makes a 'W' bottom kerf).

Reply to
whit3rd

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:gfq5z.2921$A% snipped-for-privacy@fx17.iad:

Martin, nobody in this thread has disputed that the shape of rip teeth and crosscut teeth are different.

What you are insisting, which is wrong, and which everyone has been trying to politely correct you, is that rip teeth have no set. That is simply wrong. Rip teeth have set. Hacksaw teeth have set. Pretty much every tooth on every saw has set(*).

(* the exceptions are when the tooth is wider than the blade, as is the case with most power saw blades; or things like felling saws where the raker teeth are not set).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:_bq5z.21113 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx34.iad:

This is a ridiculous statement. I don't beleive you have ever even used a handsaw.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

whit3rd wrote in news:db7461bc-8683-4d47-b918- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Well, that would work. But on a sharp saw, the difference between a rip tooth and a crosscut doesn't need squinting, the reflection off a crosscut tooth is pretty obvious.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

As others have pointed out, you seem to have your own definition of set.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Another certain exception are some styles of jig saw blades. Many of the ones I use have no set and leave an almost burnished surface.

Reply to
Leon

Not very long lasting though and useless in anything over 25mm

Reply to
steve robinson

Regardless they are quite common and useful.

They last long enough, I have been using them for 15+ years. And FWIW jigsawing over an inch thick is pretty much using the wrong saw. I prefer quality of cut over longevity.

Reply to
Leon

Only for 67 years. I have my 67 year old saw in the shop. I'ts about

1/3 of the size of the full size.

Mart> Martin Eastburn wrote in news:_bq5z.21113

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

What is your definition of set ?

I have saws from 1/3 size to full size to double buck size. And a pull saw for backup.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

look at a pull blade. The teeth are withing the width of the metal. The rip has a tiny set. A cross cut you have a tool that puts set and it is a strong set. You press the handle together and a tongue presses in to a slot of the anvil. This is a setting tool. Every other tooth, then rotate the saw and align and press the other teeth. The trick is to get the proper tooth in the proper bent position and all at the same amount or the job is jerky. Many saws are flopped down on a bench and the set starts to get out of align. If you don't sharpen and set your own tools you will never know.

The problem is set is set or set isn't set. One has to measure with a finer instrument to measure the set in a rip. The set is very tiny so it doesn't tear the side grain and keeps a cleaner cut.

The crosscut does that cuts back and forth ripping and tearing and shearing. It is fighting fiber strands on every tooth. The strands grip the sides of the blade. One wants a wide kerf for an easy cut.

We used to set saws before a job. We sawed many a sheet of plywood to make book cases long before fancy power tools came to the home owner.

Mart> Martin Eastburn wrote in news:gfq5z.2921$A%

Reply to
Martin Eastburn