Countersink Bits

Input on the best bits for countersinking will be appreciated. The ones I have are tearing up the surface grain real bad (and they're brand new) Jerry

I bought a set of spiral, tapered bits with countersinks from Lee Valley some 20 years ago. Flawless, never sharpened still in use today. (I did break the tip off the #12 but it still works...sorta/kinda.)
The usual disclaimer applies: I'm Kanuckistani, like Robin Lee, other than that we never had lunch.
I have been very happy with a countersink bit I purchased from Lee Valley Tool.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p2308&cat=3,41306,41328
I like the continuous style. It has given me less tearout.
Dave Paine.

Dave How would you control depth of cut with that style?

With care or preferably the drill presses depth stop.
Yes this is what I have been doing so far. My present uses have not required precision. If I need to truly control then I would use a drill press.
I normally use the countersink bit in a brace and bit. I drill a little, test the hole against the screw head until I get the whole head to fit in the hole.
Dave Paine
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

Masking tape on the bit and care is excellent for depth control while hand drilling (with or without electricity).
I actually own "real" depth stops and use tape more often than the stops.
Barry
Tyke wrote in

The single flute countersinks are excellent. The ones I own are made by the Weldon Tool Company, I think bought mine at The Cutting Edge in Houston I think. They work great in Aluminum as well.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods
Jerome Ranch wrote:

You might try checking the edge on the ones you have, and sharpening if necessary.
er
--
email not valid