Counter top

Page 5 of 7

Any workshops I have attended, such as Wilsonart, Arborite, Formica, nevamar all have strongly suggested not to use laminated woods (Plywoods) as the laminate itself will delaminate the first layer of ply over time.... and I have seen that happen with a few backsplashes I crafted for a job.
There is such a thing as cabinet grade particle board.
It's not sold in lumber companies or home centers. It doesn't die with water contact and should be covered with laminate anyway.
Plywood is a bad idea because of warping.
I would look around for either solid surface or factory made counter tops with rolled edges and back splash.
Be aware that a counter with a turn is difficult to accomplish with typical home owner tools.
Long runs that require joining edges also requires special router tools to do a professional job.
A cheap counter top is a bad move.(think water in your cabinets)
Greg O wrote:

Solid surface is out because of the cost.
Factory made is out because I don't want the seam in the coner of the "L".
That leaves me with custom, which I can do myself.
I have the tools! Greg
"Greg O" wrote:

--------------------------------------- You have the tools as well as an attitude. Take a hike.
Lew

This, of course, depends upon the corner to be turned. If you can cover both legs with a single sheet of laminate - no real problem at all. Yours truly, B.T.D.T.

Oh yess indeedee... laying up a 5' x 12' sheet of laminate on an L- shaped top is a regular knee-slapper. Especially that wandering fold/crease that crawls to the centre of the sheet, just to terminate itself in a tear. Ooodles of fun to the inexperienced. Better buy a couple of sheets...

Reading the posts about this got to me a bit! I thought this was a DIY group to some extent! Seems most of the posts want me to hire a pro, or order ready made! Maybe we all should put our tools away and just buy factory made, or let the pros do the work! I have the tools, I have the ability, I just wanted a recommendation for substrate, not warnings about the degree of difficulty.
"confused!"

You asked for advice without detailed information. You got that. Now go learn some manners.

Many of the posters who responded "hire a pro" _are_ countertop fabricators and installers. They have a vested interest, and a bit of experience.
scott

I figured that out! I see on other groups where the pros tell posters that what ever they want to do is to difficult, hire a pro! To me it kind of stinks a bit that they are trying to protect their job.
I suppose I came across as a smart ass, but geez, after most of the posts tell me it is way to hard, or expensive for a DIY'er, I get a little cranky! As far as I am concerned, setting laminate is neither hard, or expensive, at least not compared to hiring it out!
Like I said, maybe we should all put our tools away, as woodworking can be expensive, and difficult to do! Greg

With all that ability and knowledge, you couldn't figure out something as simple as what substrate to use?

With all that ability and knowledge, you couldn't figure out something as simple as what substrate to use?
I know what I can use, I was just looking for other opionions, but after all the valuable information you guys have provided, think I will just sell all my tools on a rumage sale this weekeend, and hire a professional to do everything I need done around the house! Greg

on this forum.
PULEEEEZE.
I am a little puzzled myself why you didn't just web search for an answer and have it instantly.
And for the record smartass, you didn't announce you had slapped plastic until a day later, well after your first two posts.
No one here knew we were dealing with such an experienced talent. After all, since you apparently post as much as 10 -12 times a year here, it seems incredible we didn't know your name when you posted. THEN we would have known the talent we were responding to in our posts.
As it was, I thought you were a serious homeowner type that was looking for some help. You could have done all here that tried to help a bit by showing your smarmy attitude up front; it is a give away as to the type of person you are when you think ANYONE owes you the time of day, much less any respect.
I honestly think the folks here responded to your seeming innocent question the best way they knew how, not knowing your self proclaimed level of expertise.
Had I but recognized the name, I would have replied: DAGS
That would have been the end of it. Next time I will.
And really, I don't think any cares what you do; call someone, do it yourself, set yourself on fire, eat shit and die, it's all the same.
I still haven't figured out how Rob in Canada, Lew in California, Lee in Texas, Ed up northeast way and all the other contributors would benefit from you hiring someone to do your work. Do you think we have some kind of secret referral net? I wish.

Wow. Now that could be a great solution. If that means you will quit coming around here (since you will have no tools to try to learn how to use) over and over to taunt folks, troll for responses and to make an ass out of yourself, I think that is great.
Sell them all!
Go away!
Robert
[...]

Thanks for the help! Greg

*I* wish. I'd keep you and others buried in work and in no time we'd be having scotch and cigars on an head office balcony at the end of each day. GregO can come and watch....once.

Where do you live? ;-)

Lew ihas already spoken for all my Kmart tools, the rest I will hang onto! Greg

Damn. I was hoping to score the trim router ...
"Greg O" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Maybe Goodwill will accept your equipment, but then again, maybe not.
Lew