Counter top

Page 4 of 7
"Max" wrote:

------------------------------------ They get dirty, they crack, they are a total PITA.
Ripped out all the tile in my last house.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ever seen what winds up in a carpet? Give me tile anytime.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Carpet on a countertop??? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I know, I know...LOL...and I agree that tile on the floor is MUCH cleaner than carpet would ever be. We have ONE rug in our entire house and that is leaving as soon as I am done with the in-floor heating in the bathroom reno. Wait.. we also have some small ones in front of exit doors. I guess they're more mats than anything.
"Robatoy" wrote ...

Carpet on a countertop??? . Reminds me of Orson Bean, a totally eccentric actor who was often on Johnny Carson. Becasue he was so colorful and funny.
He had astroturf installed in his house. He said it looked like grass and crumbs would fall into it and just disappear. It saved on cleaning.

I watch 2 and a Half Men the odd time for a bit of mindless entertainment. Orson Bean was on that show as a guest. It was pretty funny.
On Sat, 1 May 2010 15:07:40 -0400, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

Tat's what I was thinking when I wrote that last item about removable grass inserts. 1/4" ply with astroturf on top and a rim around the sides, slid onto the counter and could be removed. (I think they used it for pet maintenance, whatever the flock that is.)
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Carpet on a countertop??? .
I never would have thought of that! Greg

You carpeted your countertops? Ew! ;-)

No silly. The only place I'd have carpet is around the john...it turns a pretty shade of yellow :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

My previous house had (red, better than white, but not much) carpeting in the bedroom and master bathroom (other bathrooms were vinyl). When I ripped up the bathrooms and put down tile, surprisingly, the carpet wasn't all that disgusting. It had been there for fifteen years, too. My guess is that carpet in the kid's bathroom wouldn't have been as "clean".
On Sat, 01 May 2010 13:22:37 -0500, the infamous
following:

I've seen removable grass carpet inserts for countertop use. Tres chic. <har>
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

If you're Tiger, perhaps. Though I don't think he'd have the grass carpet near the munchies.
On Sat, 01 May 2010 23:53:27 -0500, the infamous
following:

Tiger'd prolly use shag rug on the countertops, dining set, kitchen floor, shop floor, and anywhere else he could shag a mistress, eh?
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
We bought a upper scale house 30 years ago - it was a 747 pilot house - he had some money. Nice and all - but the kitchen -
It was in tile. - tops and back sides. It was a total pain.
Pans don't sit still and glass dishes ride high on the edges and skitter around.
My wife used kitchen towels and trivets with rubber feet.
Go to a synthetic material instead of top end before tiles.
Martin
Lew Hodgett wrote:

On Sat, 1 May 2010 09:46:59 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

I agree, wholeheartedly. You misquoted me.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
On Sat, 1 May 2010 10:46:59 -0600, Lew Hodgett wrote

Epoxy grout rules! -BR

On 5/2/2010 9:01 AM, Bruce wrote:

Indeed! Come on Lew, when are you going to figure out all amazing things you can do with epoxy?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
"Steve Turner" wrote:

I keep working at it<G>.
Lew

Heeeey.. I know something about countertops. http://www.topworks.ca DIY laminate jobs are not for the amateur, really. By the time you select your substrate and buy your glue, trim-bits and so on, is it really worth doing? Hire a pro.
Ummm, no thanks, I am doing it myself! This is my forth venture into laminate in as many years. The stuff don't scare me at all, and I refuse to pay someone 3 times the price of what I can do it for myself. The top I am looking at replacing is "L" shaped, 92x42 inches across the backsplash., one 4x8 sheet of substrate, one 4x8 sheet of Formica, the tools I have. One afternoon in the shop watching NASCAR and a couple beers should do it. The whole she-bang should be less than $150. I got one qoute already for $600! Greg
Greg O wrote:

Decent, smooth plywood works fine. HD/Lowes generally has D-4 birch; way over priced for D-4 but useable. Virola works too.
--

dadiOH