Counter top

Page 2 of 7
"Max" wrote:
We're planning on spending a few days somewhere

-------------------------------------------- Having spent time at both the village and the museum, I found the museum to be a fascinating place.
A full day is hardly enough to see it all.
The village, not so much.
YMMV
Lew

I visited the museum many years ago and also found it fascinating. My wife has never been there and she's big on museums. We have a very flexible schedule so we'll take whatever time we need. :-) Friends will be making arrangements for a Ford factory tour as well.
Max
"Max" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------- The museum had a rather extensive collection of buttons as well as other items that will probably be of interest to her.
Last time I was there was early 70's, so details are a little fuzzy.
Spent many years knocking on the doors of places that had FoMoCo on the front door.
Any idea which facility?
Lew

Hopefully an assembly plant. We went thru an engine plant a few years ago. The plant did "lost foam" casting and sand casting. *Very* interesting. And, in my *very* young years I worked in an axle plant in Lansing.
Max
"Max" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ So many of the facilities have closed.
Probably the closing of the assembly plant in Lorain, Ohio was the biggest shock a couple of years ago.
I was given a tour while still in college as part of an undergraduate engineering group when the plant first opened in the late '50s.
Turned out 58 units/hour, 24/7 for many years.
If you ever had a Thunderbird or an Econoline van, probably came from Lorain.
SFWIW, helped design foundry automation that went into FoMoCo "Casting" plants, a renaming of foundries designed to improve their image.
Last big one was Flat Rock which lasted only a few years before it was moved to Mexico.
Those plants were a tough place to work.
Lew

Not yet. I have relatives who work in several different areas of the company.
Max
On Sun, 2 May 2010 11:19:36 -0600, the infamous "Max"

Any time, Max. (That'll be $189.95, please.)

"Thou shalt not put thine footsies on my countertop!" sez I.

Take pics of the FesteringToolPorn area, fer sher.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
wrote

The check is on the way. Be looking for it.

No, no. The floor, the floor. Isn't that why you wear slippers? (whatever "slippers" are)

I can post a picture of my new TS75. (neener, neener)

-- Raymond Lindquist
My gun is "familiar" but I ain't letting go of it.
Max

Tile is colder or harder than granite or concrete? IMO, tile is great but grout is not, so no tile countertops for us.

On 5/01/10 12:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Exactly, I hate linoleum, we did our kitchen about ten years ago. Granite counter, and about 4" of backsplash, tile from there up to the cabinets, looks great, easy to clean, and no stains yet.
Granite was installed by a pro including sink cutout, they had a template came with the new sink we purchesed, I did the sink install and tile backsplash.
--
Froz...

On Sat, 01 May 2010 12:11:55 -0400, the infamous FrozenNorth

I may put I/O carpet down in my kitchen. Then I wouldn't have to put on my slippers to get milk in the middle of the night. It has worked extremely well in the bathroom.

Wow, all that ice-cold surface, and Radon, too! <bseg>
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
scrawled the following:

Jeez, Lar, where do you live where the "surface" gets "ice cold". I can only imagine how refreshing that would be during a typical El Paso summer.
Max

Cold works for baking, too. SWMBO loves the granite in this house. She wouldn't look at any other surface, now.
On 5/02/10 11:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I find it is great for defrosting meat, and such, as well. Seems to warm it up, or draw the cold out, whichever, better than any other counter I've ever used.
--
Froz...

Never thought about that. Plastic acts as an insulator, but granite is a huge heat sink and would put some heat into the frozen meat. Thick pans of either aluminum or cast iron work well too, but so is the thermal mass of granite that is there all the time.
On 5/02/10 10:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Just leave a layer of plastic wrap between the meat and the counter, it works great. Minimizes clean up too.
--
Froz...

On Sun, 02 May 2010 23:17:56 -0400, the infamous FrozenNorth

You guys all realize that every health org says that you cannot thaw meats at room temps, don't you? I do it either in the fridge or in hot water in the disinfected sink. But I very, very seldom buy frozen meat. Turkeys are one of the exceptions, and recently, prices for fresh turkeys have been nearly as low as frozededs, so we've gone with fresh.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

I buy meat and freeze it. That steak you bought for $10.99 a pound I paid $5 for a whole loin that I'll cut and freeze. They for dinner it will be defrosted on the counter and allowed to come to room temperature before grilling. No, I'd not do a turkey or whole chicken like that but do smaller cuts all the time.
Yesterday I smoked some country ribs. There were not frozen, but I did bring them up to room temperature before putting them on the smoker. Right now some sausage is defrosting for dinner tonight.
On 5/03/10 4:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Eggsactly :-)
Did sausages last night, peeled plastic off from the back of the Styrofoam package, put on granite, flipped in half an hour, after an hour fully thawed. Pork chops, chicken parts, ribs and steaks all work equally as well, a roast or whole bird is a different issue.
--
Froz...

wrote the following:

Previously frozen meat isn't as good as fresh, IMHO. YMMV.

Trichina worms...the other white meat.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist