Counter top

Page 1 of 7
I need to replace a counter top, on the cheap, but I want it to last! I will be making my own, with some sort of lamiate. My question is the substrate. The last counter was made from laminate and particle board substrate and the partical board got wet and of course, expanded. I am wondering what material would be best for substrate, something that could hold up to the ocasional saoking. I was thinging MDO plywood, the stuff they make road signs out of, second chice would be good old exterior grade plywood. someone recommended green treated, but it is in a food prep area so that makes it a bad choice.
--
Greg O

That would be my choice.

Agree, I'd not use it.
wrote

Not sure where you are going to get your laminate.
I did mine a few years ago and found a Wilson Art distribution center in the Boston area. They sold to the public and the prices and selection blew away the big retail guys. They even sold the bevel edge for the front which made it look real professional.
Just a thought
Larry C

Heeeey.. I know something about countertops. http://www.topworks.ca DIY laminate jobs are not for the amateur, really. By the time you select your substrate and buy your glue, trim-bits and so on, is it really worth doing? Hire a pro. Spend a few dollars and make sure they seal all the exposed edges, like inside sink holes and tap holes and all along the entire back. To get a good seam, if there's going to be one, is not that easily done. I would investigate solid surface, acrylic, non-DuPont Corian (too expensive in most cases) like Meganite, LG and HiMacs. Nothing to worry about substrates, you get to undermount your sink and the surface is non-staining and can be refinished in case of damage or scratches. There are guys around who will charge a fair dollar for solid surface work. Stay away from the snooty high-end guys.

Sometimes, there are certain tasks best left to the expertise of others.
Back 35 years ago, we used to do it out of necessity. I still have the laminate trimmers, the bits, guides, etc. from when I stopped doing it 20 years ago. It isn't brain surgery, but the learning curve can be *quite* expensive.
The results from a first time lamination project are rarely acceptable. And I don't want anything in my house that I have to say "well, that was the first time I had ever tried that, but I saved some money and learned a lot along the way".

I would think that at this time you could find someone that would be happy to do a job that for a fair price. A guy that does this all day long can turn out a kitchen in post form laminate in a few hours from start to finish, depending on the complexity.
Then they haul off the old tops. You have a <nice job>, the sink hole is in the right place, the edges are all finished correctly, you have a happy spouse, and you are finished in one day. All you have to do is hook the plumbing back up.
Call the laminate suppliers and the solid surface guys in your area and ask for a recommended installer.
Robert

The last two posters bring up a good point. How long is the job to last? What I mean is, I did mine because we were going to redo the whole kitchen and get some solid counter tops (insert recession here). So the job was to last just a couple of years and I went on the cheap about 2 weeks before the family holiday party - 4 years ago.
Get a few prices first.
Larry C

I got prices, no way! Too high! Like I said in my other post I have done this before, just looking for recommendations for substrate. It ain't rocket science! As far as hauling of the old tops, we have a huge roll off dumpster at work that just gobbles this stuff up! I know about the quick kitchen fix, this is the second redo in 15 years. No counter top the first time! I refuse to spend any more money on it than necessary because it will get all torn out sooner than later! I will not put good, high priced tops on these old cabinets as the whole works needs to go away. When we finally do a gut job on the kitchen then I will look into solid surface, maybe granite. Greg

I have to vote (again) for tile. It's easy to install, inexpensive, (unless you use some exotic type) durable, and available in many colors or patterns. I installed mine over 3/4" (exterior glue) plywood. It is 24 years old and I'm replacing it only because I'm doing a whole cabinet replacement job. If you don't have a tile saw, you can rent one. Personally, I wouldn't even consider anything else that's available.
Max
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:35:07 -0600, the infamous "Max"

And I wouldn't even consider tile for most uses. It's ice cold on the hands, so it's uncomfortable to rest against while waiting for the coffee to get done or the microway to tick off seconds. It also actively reaches out to each and every glass and brittle plastic item int he kitchen, vying for little pieces of each to be strewn around the entire area. It's noisy and it can chip when we set tools on it, too.
Tile? Solid surface? Pass. ;)
-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
scrawled the following:

Hmm. Would a thin layer of foam suffice?
Max (I'd rather break dishes than chip countertops) ps: what's a "microway"? <G>
On Sat, 1 May 2010 09:00:03 -0600, the infamous "Max"

I can replace my entire 12' countertop for $200 and a few hours' work. I can replace either of my 3' countertops for $20 and a couple hours of my time. What will your solid surface replacement or tile cost?

Abalooley no ideas. (Who wrote that? Hands? OK, who started it?)
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
scrawled the following:

Far too difficult. You need to call a pro! :p
On Sat, 1 May 2010 22:07:03 -0700, the infamous " Rumple Stiltskin"

I installed it. I think I could replace it. I'm a licensed contractor and my name's not, uh, Greg, so your taunt didn't work. ;)
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
scrawled the following:

You need to call yourself, then. If you don't have a landline and cell phone, just wander around the kitchen saying "Here, Larry, Larry, Larry! Here, Larry, Larry, Larry!"
:-)
Puckdropper

On 02 May 2010 17:06:08 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper

Crom'll get ya for that one, Pucky. ;)
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

But I only have to replace the tile countertop when I get tired of it. Which may be....never.
Max
On Sun, 2 May 2010 08:41:57 -0600, the infamous "Max"

Many people drop things on it, chip it, and break tiles. Most don't seal the grout often enough and it stains and must be replaced, etc.
But if you're happy with it, go for it.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
wrote

You just don't know the incomparable joy you have created by giving me the go-ahead. If I get up there to Oregano this summer I'll stop by and see if I can freeeze my tootsies.
Max (but probably headed for points a little more easterly) (might even visit the Robot Boy in Sarnia)

That would be cool. The gmail counterfitter works. I plan to do a bit of flying about this summer, so gimme a heads up. I can set up s special support group for American dorkers who have brad-nailed themselves to the altar of the woodworking gods...well, at least till the glue dries. I'll toss a bottle of Calvados in the freezer.

I will keep you posted. We're planning on spending a few days somewhere near Detroit so we can tour Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Then across the Ambassador Bridge and meander north to find a Campground with full hook-ups near Sarnia. (or back on this side if necessary; there's a decent KOA near Port Huron. )
Max