counter sink for trim head screw

hey all

looking to use some trim head screws on some bloodwood flooring -- like to find a proper counter sink for the trim head screw (vice normal drywall screw) -- anybody got a clue on where I can find one ? I just checked McFeely's w/no luck

Cheers

Reply to
Sam the Cat

Joseph Smith

Have you tried to simply drive the screw in? I have not had a problem setting a trim head screw without using a counter sink.

Reply to
Leon

Sam:

Unfortunately, trim head screws come in lots of head configurations and some work better than others when it comes to countersinking. There is no doubt that countersinking is necessary for bloodwood though. That is a very hard hardwood! Some trim heads are just undersized flat heads (ie, #4 head on #6 screw), and some are more like a flattened ball with a recess. Most trim heads can use a 1/4" countersink (heads are tyipcally .210 to .230" in diameter), but depth control is key. My Tech Director, Darin Lawrence, has some experience with this, and would be happy to talk with you. Call him at

1-800-443-7937 if you would like.

Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws

Jim

Check with McMastercarr.com and see if they have specialized screws there just for this purpose.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Jim, Thanks for the reply -- I'll take you up on the offer in the AM

Cheers

Reply to
Sam the Cat