Could you whack an inch off?

+1. Wow, the figure in that walnut mane on #5 is just breathtaking.

-- Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of which they know nothing.

--Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago

Reply to
Larry Jaques

in the $1,500 and up (way up) range. Mine is a whimsical take-off of about three different patterns I picked up over the years plus about 1/3 my own design. I have a 16" x 44" x 2-1/2" slab of walnut in the garage now and I'm pretty sure it contains a horse body. Maple on the top row of my rack will make the rockers. Smaller chunks of cherry and Myrtle wood will do mane, tail and details. Just need to it get going.

then they start saying you could make this or that and sell them and street fairs. My mother was trying to get me make wood coasters. I have to keep reminding them there is a reason I'm still a licensed master electrician. So I guess I understand where Sonoma Products is coming from. I want to make what I take enjoyment in.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Thanks for the nice comments folks - appreciated. You guys probably wouldn= 't want to know what I pay for my figured and curly walnut. there is a har= dwood mill about 35 miles south of us that provides air-dried wood for loca= l cabinetmakers. But a large part of their market is supplying area high s= chool wood programs. I bought the last small pile of their sapwood/curly '= cast-offs' for .75 to $1.10 per board foot. I have to pick through the pil= e and about 1/2 or more of a board ends up in the kindling bin but there is= some beautiful stuff in there.

Since the next horse will be walnut I am going to try to contrast mane and = tail with some Myrtle wood I got in Oregon a couple of weeks ago. Saddle -= Maybe Cherry.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

You just have to laugh when you hear something like this. It's like giving the Mona Lisa to a kid who wants to play with their finger paints. I think you have the right idea . . send them to the local Ikea . . they will think it's fine furniture!

Reply to
kaylward