Could some expert tell me from what period this Chinese Staircase Toy is ?

Could some expert here tell me from what era / time this antique Chinese Staircase Toy is. Thank You ... http://www.jumpingpixels.com/chinatoy.html

My brain is tired. Could someone please tell me HOW this works?

I haven't seen this, but my best guess is that there are marbles or ball bearings that roll inside of the two tubes that just barely cause the flip. Inertia keeps it moving long enough for the ball bearings to roll downhill, causing it to flip again.
It sounded awfully tinny. Maybe it's a windup toy.