Cotten Wood and Hackelbery wood

Ive never heard of these before.

2 Huge lots went today at the auction - at least 5000+ bf of each. They went for ~200.00 each. Just curious on what they are generally used for. The guy that bought them said that he is going to use them for crating material.

Just curious. Thanks Rob

You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m

remove _ to get the correct address

Reply to
Rob V

Rob V notes:

Cottonwood is mostly used for lumber, veneer (stuff tends to fuzz, though), excelsior, pulpwood and fuel. Crating material would be a good use.

Hackwood I don't know. Hackberry? Furniture, barrels, similar uses to elm.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

I've seen cottonwood used for drawer sides. Probably a lot of of secondary uses like that.

My only experience with hackberry is the tree growing next to my house - or was growing, the neighbor, with my blessings, went at it with a chainsaw last year. (We were both thinking it was only a matter of time, and a Texas storm, before it went over on one of our houses.) Grows fast and weedlike, and seems tough and very stringy (like willow switches) in seedling form. (The branches on the mature tree didn't break when he cut them nearly through, they bent, then peeled off the side of the trunk.)

At a guess I'd say it would be ideal for bentwood projects. (I think someone mentioned barrel staves - seems perfect.)

-Wm

Reply to
William

When I took a raised panel door class at Woodcraft, cottonwood was used for the stock. It's very soft (softer even than pine, I think) and very cheap. This makes it perfect for playing around with a router. Easy on the bits and not painful to throw away.

Reply to
Joe Wells

Cottonwood is in the poplar family.

Donnie Vazquez