Cost to Refinish Table

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have someone refinish a dining room table. It is solid wood, no veneer, and would involve striping and putting a fresh coat of polyurethane.
Thanks for any help.
Jim
Nope. Waaaay too many possible variables unspecified. "a" fresh coat? not likely.
Would cost you far less out of pocket if you DIY. Presuming a few things.
John

fresh
Depending on size I would guess somewhere between $500 and $1000 at least....mjh

I'll do it for $176.58. You deliver and pick up.

More than you want to pay, but I give you credit, you recognise how much work is involved and will pay it because you don't want to do the work.
If I were to do it, I'd quote $5K minimum, subject to revision upon inspection of the piece.
You had to ask<G>.
Lew
On Fri, 27 May 2005 01:01:45 GMT, the inscrutable Lew Hodgett

I did a dining table and 8 chairs for $600, half the price quoted by the local yahoos. I removed the poly and RBS, then carefully brushed the pigment stain out of the pores. It then got a dozen hand-rubbed coats of Watco Golden Oak. The whole process took several hours a day for about a month. I didn't have a respirator (but should have) so I stayed upwind of the methylene chloride stripper and lacquer thinner rinse. That's an enormous amount of work, lemme tell ya.
To do it now, I'd ask at least $1,500 and I wouldn't put poly back on it if they paid me double. (Hmmm, well, maybe for triple pay, but not thick enough for that infamous "Saran Wrap" look.)

--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---
Larry Jaques wrote:

Based on your description of your activities doing a refinish job, the $5K estimate was LOW.
Lew
On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:27:10 GMT, the inscrutable Lew Hodgett

The reason it got done for $600 was that I was low on work, Mom was stunned by the quote from the refinishing shop. I lowballed it at half the quoted price (as a joke) and the offer was taken. I was happy to do it for them, bought supplies out of my own pocket, and got some free dinners a few nights, too.
Watco is a perfectly viable finish for daily use, BTW. I'd use Waterlox nowadays. It might stand up to 3x daily family use.
--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---
Larry Jaques wrote:

Having faired out a boat hull, it gives me a perspective about the time and effort required to finish something that you can not get any other way.
To give you some idea, you could probably refinish 25 dining room tables and have time to spare compared to the time and effort required to fair out a 30 ft sailboat.
Lew

more than ten dollars, probably. less than ten thousand dollars, probably.
size, condition, construction, style, type of wood, existing finish, quality of workmanship (for the refinishing) _all_ figure into it.
_None_ of which you specified. <grin>
Hi Jim,
Your neighbor will do this for you.
Which neighbor? The one you need to introduce yourself to and invite to dinner with a nice bottle of wine.
But always keep in mind (I love this):
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST (pick any two)
I resemble that.
Lou