Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot

Page 2 of 4

So 3.3bf of walnut is $11? Well, that's completely different.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

Oops! Sorry about that. Totally different situation. Tell me where you live so I CAN move there. I just figured you were in Cental/Southern CA.
Greg G.
HI Greg, Not a problem. I tend to think people should know what I'm thinking when I'm writing. NE Iowa. Jana
: Greg G. said:
: Reminds me of freaking New Jersey, where if you call from Mullica Hill : to Cherry Hill (less than 15 miles and in-state) for 55 minutes, : you'll get a bill for $250.
That's roughly $4.50 per minute. I can call central Mongolia for less than that! You need to switch phone carriers.
I'm in southern AZ, and can call anywhere in the US or Canada for under 5 cents a minute.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss said:

Oh, believe me - I don't live in New Jersey - the Garden State. I spent a year there in 2000. The greenish-blue well water and vast multitudes of scam-artists, and deer ticks had me racing back to the Southern Appalachians. <g>
As for the phones - I believe one company held a monopoly on the land lines there... We're talking calls _within_ the state, out of state was different - the Feds get involved...
Greg G.
Andrew Barss wrote:

We have a Verizon set up for $59 a month that allows unlimited calling within the U.S. and Canada. No time limits, not set times, zip, nada, zilch. It sounds a bit high at first, but even at nickel a word, you can run up some major charges when your wife calls her parents or siblinigs and yaks for a couple, three hours, three or four times a week (among the joys of aging parents is keeping track of their well being from several hundred miles away).
On 12/1/2005 5:40 AM Charlie Self mumbled something about the following:

I switched to VoIP (Sunrocket) over my high speed cable. $200 a year (that's like $16.67 a month), unlimited calling US and Canada. There is the issue of having no phone if the internet is out, but I have a cell phone for those few times when that happens.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Are you sure there is unlimited calling? I got a solicitation through the mail and there was a 100 minute limit for long distance.

Woops I am wrong. Unlimited calling it is.
On 12/1/2005 9:50 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

Do they have the 911 thing worked out yet?
Duke of Burl wrote:

Sort of. Some, like ViaTalk, do. I use them, they're OK.
-jav
On 12/1/2005 10:05 AM Duke of Burl mumbled something about the following:

Yes they do. You have to fill out a form giving your location for it to work (since you can have a phone number from anywhere in the US, not just your local calling area).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

If you're thinking of switching, I'll send you a reference.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Charlie Self wrote:

I can get that in Saskatchewan for $25CAD a month, $30 if I didn't already get high-speed internet from them too.
It's amazing how long-distance prices are dropping.
Chris

On my 21st birthday, I called home (Westchester County, in New York) from Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. Cost of a 20 minute call was about $115. A long damned time ago, and at that time I was making, if memory serves, about $124 a month, net. Lance corporal, USMC. Big boost the next year, going to E4 and over 3. Up to $170 a month.

Charlie you are younger then me.... I still remember my first check from the US Army... $18.46 cents...NET ...and 16 bucks of that was traveling pay from Ft Bragg to Walter Reed... That check I really should have not cashed ..I should have had it framed and hung it on my wall...
Prices are relative,,, My home cost less then $25,000 when I purchased it in 1965 ...When my dad died a few years ago I discovered he paid either $1160 or $1610 for my entire 1st year in college when I was going thru his things... even laughed at his comment that I better cut my beer consumption because he was going broke "supporting" me...
My first job in High School was at a burger joint... we sold them fro 15 cents each..or 7 for a dollar... My 1951 V8 Hot Rod drank gas that cost me 19 cents a gallon... and ran on "May Pop" brand tires ..like one just may pop... at any time...I think I averaged 2-3 flat tires a week...
Now back to the original posters comments... I have no idea if I can afford to continue buying wood... Before I retired I stock piled a lifetime supply of Walnut, Cherry and Poplar...(what A laugh...I must have died a few years ago because it only took about 5 years before I had to float a loan to buy a small supply to make my Daughters dinning room set...(Table & Hutch,...no darn chairs...) ..
Fricken scary ...what EVERYTHING costs now...
My "Real Estate" Taxes per year today .. are greater then what I paid in 1965 for my mortgage (P&I and taxes)... My first "new" car was a 1965 Corvette 396 BB purchased in 1966 for $4,700 ..today just the knock off wheels for that car are worth that much...
Honestly as much as I bitch about what I have to pay for lumber I really feel sorry for my grandchildren and what they have to pay for a little, but nice, townhouse with a 200 sq foot back yard.....even the dog can not get any exercise in that small yard...
Ok.. Off my soap box...
The one check I will not have to write will be to the Funeral Home... what a good though that is... Maybe I should run out and buy some pine for a "box" today.... who knows what the wife will have to pay per Bf of that crap in a few years...
Bob G...

Hell, I had to be younger than somebody! That was in 1959, for anyone who cares.

My first semester's tuition at Albany State (now the great and pretentious University at Albany) was 200 bucks, IIRC. and $400 for a semester in the dorms, with meals. One semester and I went out, against the rules, and got my own apartment. It was that or kill a college kid.

My niece, her husband and daughter came down from LI a few weeks ago, and we talked of cabbages, kings, RE taxes and things. First, they are paying approximately three times the assessed value of my home for a similar sized place (though nicer) on Long Island. They are also paying approximately 16 times what I am paying in RE and school taxes. Their tax bill is on the order of $167 per MONTH more than I pay for a year. I was born and raised in Westchester County, so high RE taxes come as no surprise, but that's asinine.

Our grandchildren, with minor exceptions, will scrape by. Our great grandchildren will not. We--and this is all inclusive--have gobbled their resources and their money. It has nothing to do with SS, but with our allowing idiot politicians over the past 65 years to piss away money at a rate that would scare anyone with half a brain. We make jokes about cost overruns and pork, and nothing EVER gets done about it. The national debt mounts, and we slither along--and that's how the kids will probably view us. As a bunch of thieving snakes.
My soapbox.

Yeah, well...if they waste a box on me, I'll come back and haunt 'em.
I still remember my first check

Remember the jump when I sewed on E-3. I was then making $ 22 per fortnightly payday. Felt so good about it that I went out and got married....

Stockboy at 0.50 / hour, but you could get a gallon for between 11 and 17 cents, _and_ a set of glasses for a fill up. The MGA cost me 1500 at three years old.

My daughter married a guy whose family had a few forties of timber, so when we made the cabinets for his NASCAR memorabilia, he supplied his own black ash. Same for all the replacement oak moldings - red oak from the "camp." The bed will be in cherry, but I'll have to supply anything over 4/4, because that's all they have in the barn.
Since I mostly turn firewood, my flat stock should hold out a few more years.

Here's a website calculator I get a kick out of plugging numbers into: <http://www.minneapolisfed.org/Research/data/us/calc/ It's a Fed Resv Bank calculator for what the dollar amount in some year would equal in another year.
That $4700 Corvette would be just shy of $30,000 today. But then consider how much more by way of amenities and safety the C-5 or C-6 has over that '65.
Some things are pretty much as they should be with respect to inflation. Other things like houses and cars don't translate as easily since there're other factors that contribute to today's prices above the cost of building a similar one today.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company