cost of house extension

Page 2 of 2

A usenet forum may possibly be the worst place to post a request like this.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

As everywhere, it is the OP's job to separate the wheat from the chaff. But you could help ...
IMO, the advice to get an architect (local preferably) is the best. Then if any engineering is involved, get more advice. Local word of mouth will be the best thing. Our addition came out beautiful, in style with the original and the neighborhood. The one problem we had was with the heating of the addition, and that led us to invest in a change from steam to hot water baseboard, and a 2-zone system. In 2001 it cost an extra 9K (but replaced an elderly heating system that proably wasn't going to last too long). All very worthwhile for us!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzhan-flnj/before.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzhan-flnj/after.JPG
--
Best regards
Han

Well, though you had a great experience, that's just one aspect of why usenet is not a very good forum for such and open ended question. Many that hang out here would be very capable of building a perfectly proper addition on a house, without an architect's involvement. Others would elect to go the path you did. As an open forum, usenet tends to supply an endless stream of experiences and opinions that make good reading, sometimes inform, but often simply surround such open ended questions with just lots of words.
I actually do try to help quite a bit here, but sometimes even I get a wild hair out of place, and spout off. In this case I don't think I was overly offensive.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I apologize if I offended. No offense was intended. Indeed, usenet is open to all, and any (and all) opinions one sees here are only that, the poster's opinions.
I still think having an architect and a contractor who were very familiar with the local circumstances, rules, etc. was very helpful to us when we did major remodeling. I believe it would be better for many people in similar circumstances. However, if you live where no architectural rules, building permits and standards are applicable, or if you can process the paperwork easily yourself, then by all means do the work yourself. In fact, I have added some wiring and shelves to my home (this and the previous one), and it has worked out just fine so far. But for major new plumbing and appliance installations as well as real remodleing like replacing siding and windows plus my addition, I have hired qualified people, and not only because I didn't have the time.
--
Best regards
Han

Well now you've hit on something totally different, and even more valid. There are some absolute truths in life. Among those most worthy of internalizing are (1) more than a handful is wasted, and (2) if it's got to do with plumbing, farm out the work.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzhan-flnj/before.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzhan-flnj/after.JPG
Han: Your before & after phots, is this the front of the house or the back ? If front, an added deck would be nice.
Smitty