cost of house extension

Page 1 of 2
The answer is "it depends".
We are looking at a 1.5 story home that needs a larger kitchen and dining area.
I want to validate an estimate of worse case 30K.
The extention would be 8' x 25' off the back - load bearing wall.
I will post pictures, floor plans, etc if the is a way to give me some help.
Thanks,
Kevin wrote:

Is that in San Francisco or Iowa?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Or Detroit?
"dadiOH" wrote:

Location, Location, Location.
Construction costs tend to average out across the country.
What you give up on the potatoes, you make up on the green beans; however, land costs are a much different thing.
Here in SoCal, a developer with buy a house, then tear it down, just to have some bare dirt.
Suddenly that piece of land that had a 40 year old starter house on it, now has expensive condos on it
Lew
Kevin wrote:

The last remodel I did the kitchen alone was 30,000.00 plus. Depending on where you live there should be a sq.ft. price that should get you close. Remember Kitchen and Baths are the most expensive part of any build.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Around here, 200 Sq feet will cost you $20,000 - and then you put the kitchen in. Sounds about right.

You will have the base cost of the building extension plus the cost of the kitchen which will include extensive wiring, plumbing and cabinetry. Local regions, roof connections and foundation type will influence the cost of the extension. Your (wife's) taste and needs will dictate the kitchen cost. 25 years ago I did something similar and your entire budget went into the cabinets alone, so I don't hold out for much success of spending less than $30k for the entire job.

Change that to "best case"and you have a shot. The kitchen alone can be 30k. plus the shell you build for it. Unless the property is a great location and deal, I'd move on to something already suitable.
The dining portion should mostly be just walls and a window.
The kitchen portion would re-use all the existing cabinets and maybe add another 4 to 6' of base cabinets (turn a U-shape into and L-shape with an island), but that does mean moving plumbing and electrical -- though it's unfinished basement (and to be crawlspace) below. No additional windows for the kitchen.
The home is only 8 years old; we'd just like to open up the kitchen-dining area and enlarge it. It's a shame they did not do this to begin with.
It's a 1.5 story with steep, consistent roof line (one continuous roof in this expansion area). The thought is to tie into the roof and extend it out at less pitch to get an 8' extension that would be about 24' long. So a 8x24 extension. The $30K estimate came from a 150/sq ft guestimate. The 24' of wall, however is the exterior load bearing wall with a dormer type bathroom overhead.
It's in KS for what's that's worth.

Kevin, Get An Archetect. Get an archetect what ever you decide to do. It will cost you about 10% of the construction cost, but will be worth every penny you spend. I see many additions that look like an addition, and hurt the sale of your house. I bought a 2br house with a less than perfect house plan. Wanted to add a 3rd bedroom, and a larger LR window.
I ended up with that and a new entrance and deck, and a floor plan that worked. People now say the house looks great, much better than original, and it has the 3rd BR and Huge deck. The archetect came up with some great ideas, and acted as the control on some of my stupid ideas. Or I would give him an idea of what I wanted, and he made it integral to the overall plan.
Once I had the plans, I could take them to a contractor and get a specific bid. "Follow the plans, match the existing work." No Exceptions! After a year, I can't find a single thing I would have changed. FWIW in Montana, Additional bedroom, new entry, some large picture windows, big deck, new gable roofline, new interior LR, DR sheetrock, lam floors came to $70k, archetect was $6k. House appraised value increased $120k in 6 months over construction. You can't tell any remodling was done at all.
Hope this helps.....
Rich

Many towns will not approve plans without a stamped set of prints. Or if they do, they will be scrutinized and questioned considerably as opposed to just approved. Depends on your local situation, but I'd pay for the Architect.
Kevin wrote:

you have one in your area. One of my customers had estimates on Kitchen Cabinets that ranged from 22,000-30,000 and one of these estimates was from Home Depot. He joined Direct Buy for 5,000 and got the same cabinets for 12,000, I installed them for 2,500.00. Take one of their guest tours and see if it's for you.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
FrozenNorth wrote:

Direct Buy. If you noticed I only told them to check it out and see if it works for them. Customer bought kitchen cabinets, tile, and hardwood flooring. I installed it all. If you want to see the Kitchen and all other work I did on this house you check out my website rentmyhusband.co.nr They did get the run around on Granite and decided to deal with a guy I set them up with. Other than that, a decent experience.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

The difference between what the estimates were to have the whole thing done and what it cost them buying from Direct Buy and having you install was insignificant at best. I'm sure they could have gotten every bit as good a price buying direct from one of the many cabinet shops in most large cities and having you do the install. The only advantage to Direct Buy is you look at all the catalogs in the same show-room, so it saves you a bit of time and gas.

Glad to hear it worked out for your customer, but that place, as well as it's three prior incarnations, is a consumer advocacy lightning rod.
Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y) wrote:

and only experience I had and not a direct experience, for whats its worth.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

United Consumers Club is one, the second escapes me right now. It may have been Total Home. We have a location nearby that seems to come and go.
<http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/direct_buy_scams
I don't have any personal experience, other than sitting through the high-pressure presentation. I was told that if I didn't buy today, I couldn't in the future. That was good enough for me! Why would I want to do business with an organization that starts off on that path?
Maybe I missed out, but I found it just plain too weird.
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:16:10 GMT, FrozenNorth

Yup. A friend joined - had just bought a Condo he wanted to spruce up, as well as an industrial building he needed to put new offices in. His Mom also just got a house that needed to be done from end to end, top to bottom.
Ends up he could buy EVERYTHING cheaper elsewhere and didn't need to wait for it. Biggest waste of $5-6000 he ever spent. He might have bought $1000 worth from them - but no huge savings.

I check to see if you have a local Builder's Association they should be able to give you good price per square foot figure. I added a 14' x 25' family room on my house two years ago for 35,000. In New Mexico.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
Kevin wrote:

out rentmyhusband.co.nr see my posts below for other comments on your post. Believe total was around 50,000.00 on kitchen alone.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"