cost of house extension

The answer is "it depends".

We are looking at a 1.5 story home that needs a larger kitchen and dining area.

I want to validate an estimate of worse case 30K.

The extention would be 8' x 25' off the back - load bearing wall.

I will post pictures, floor plans, etc if the is a way to give me some help.

Thanks,

Reply to
Kevin

Is that in San Francisco or Iowa?

Reply to
dadiOH

Or Detroit?

Reply to
Max

The last remodel I did the kitchen alone was 30,000.00 plus. Depending on where you live there should be a sq.ft. price that should get you close. Remember Kitchen and Baths are the most expensive part of any build.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You will have the base cost of the building extension plus the cost of the kitchen which will include extensive wiring, plumbing and cabinetry. Local regions, roof connections and foundation type will influence the cost of the extension. Your (wife's) taste and needs will dictate the kitchen cost. 25 years ago I did something similar and your entire budget went into the cabinets alone, so I don't hold out for much success of spending less than $30k for the entire job.

Reply to
EXT

Location, Location, Location.

Construction costs tend to average out across the country.

What you give up on the potatoes, you make up on the green beans; however, land costs are a much different thing.

Here in SoCal, a developer with buy a house, then tear it down, just to have some bare dirt.

Suddenly that piece of land that had a 40 year old starter house on it, now has expensive condos on it

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Around here, 200 Sq feet will cost you $20,000 - and then you put the kitchen in. Sounds about right.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Change that to "best case"and you have a shot. The kitchen alone can be

30k. plus the shell you build for it. Unless the property is a great location and deal, I'd move on to something already suitable.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The dining portion should mostly be just walls and a window.

The kitchen portion would re-use all the existing cabinets and maybe add another 4 to 6' of base cabinets (turn a U-shape into and L-shape with an island), but that does mean moving plumbing and electrical -- though it's unfinished basement (and to be crawlspace) below. No additional windows for the kitchen.

The home is only 8 years old; we'd just like to open up the kitchen-dining area and enlarge it. It's a shame they did not do this to begin with.

It's a 1.5 story with steep, consistent roof line (one continuous roof in this expansion area). The thought is to tie into the roof and extend it out at less pitch to get an 8' extension that would be about 24' long. So a

8x24 extension. The $30K estimate came from a 150/sq ft guestimate. The 24' of wall, however is the exterior load bearing wall with a dormer type bathroom overhead.

It's in KS for what's that's worth.

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin, Get An Archetect. Get an archetect what ever you decide to do. It will cost you about 10% of the construction cost, but will be worth every penny you spend. I see many additions that look like an addition, and hurt the sale of your house. I bought a 2br house with a less than perfect house plan. Wanted to add a 3rd bedroom, and a larger LR window.

I ended up with that and a new entrance and deck, and a floor plan that worked. People now say the house looks great, much better than original, and it has the 3rd BR and Huge deck. The archetect came up with some great ideas, and acted as the control on some of my stupid ideas. Or I would give him an idea of what I wanted, and he made it integral to the overall plan.

Once I had the plans, I could take them to a contractor and get a specific bid. "Follow the plans, match the existing work." No Exceptions! After a year, I can't find a single thing I would have changed. FWIW in Montana, Additional bedroom, new entry, some large picture windows, big deck, new gable roofline, new interior LR, DR sheetrock, lam floors came to $70k, archetect was $6k. House appraised value increased $120k in 6 months over construction. You can't tell any remodling was done at all.

Hope this helps.....

Rich

Reply to
rich

Well you might be in the ball park? You might check Direct Buy if you have one in your area. One of my customers had estimates on Kitchen Cabinets that ranged from 22,000-30,000 and one of these estimates was from Home Depot. He joined Direct Buy for 5,000 and got the same cabinets for 12,000, I installed them for

2,500.00. Take one of their guest tours and see if it's for you.
Reply to
Rich

I check to see if you have a local Builder's Association they should be able to give you good price per square foot figure. I added a 14' x 25' family room on my house two years ago for 35,000. In New Mexico.

Reply to
asmurff

Hey it worked for them, I have had no direct experience with Direct Buy. If you noticed I only told them to check it out and see if it works for them. Customer bought kitchen cabinets, tile, and hardwood flooring. I installed it all. If you want to see the Kitchen and all other work I did on this house you check out my website rentmyhusband.co.nr They did get the run around on Granite and decided to deal with a guy I set them up with. Other than that, a decent experience.

Reply to
Rich

If you want to see a kitchen I remodeled about a year ago check out rentmyhusband.co.nr see my posts below for other comments on your post. Believe total was around 50,000.00 on kitchen alone.

Reply to
Rich

A usenet forum may possibly be the worst place to post a request like this.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:e2a9f$47ee5c67$6215aa97$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

As everywhere, it is the OP's job to separate the wheat from the chaff. But you could help ...

IMO, the advice to get an architect (local preferably) is the best. Then if any engineering is involved, get more advice. Local word of mouth will be the best thing. Our addition came out beautiful, in style with the original and the neighborhood. The one problem we had was with the heating of the addition, and that led us to invest in a change from steam to hot water baseboard, and a 2-zone system. In 2001 it cost an extra 9K (but replaced an elderly heating system that proably wasn't going to last too long). All very worthwhile for us!

Han

Glad to hear it worked out for your customer, but that place, as well as it's three prior incarnations, is a consumer advocacy lightning rod.

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

What were the other 2? Just curious! I can only speak of the one and only experience I had and not a direct experience, for whats its worth.

Reply to
Rich

Well, though you had a great experience, that's just one aspect of why usenet is not a very good forum for such and open ended question. Many that hang out here would be very capable of building a perfectly proper addition on a house, without an architect's involvement. Others would elect to go the path you did. As an open forum, usenet tends to supply an endless stream of experiences and opinions that make good reading, sometimes inform, but often simply surround such open ended questions with just lots of words.

I actually do try to help quite a bit here, but sometimes even I get a wild hair out of place, and spout off. In this case I don't think I was overly offensive.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

United Consumers Club is one, the second escapes me right now. It may have been Total Home. We have a location nearby that seems to come and go.

I don't have any personal experience, other than sitting through the high-pressure presentation. I was told that if I didn't buy today, I couldn't in the future. That was good enough for me! Why would I want to do business with an organization that starts off on that path?

Maybe I missed out, but I found it just plain too weird.