Cost of Heating oil; Cost of lumber?

Page 5 of 5

oil
2005
If you'd like to give us the real figures, I'm all ears.
todd

The cost was X dollars per barrel. Dollar was a dollar. Adjustments are a fantasy based on conditions which did not pertain at the time. Of course, liars do figure ... when the outcome suits 'em.
Now the cost of a barrel of oil adjusted for 1897 dollars was ... meaningless! .

Is the comparison perfect? I'm sure it isn't. But to say that the adjustments for inflation are meaningless is a lie. So, you don't believe any of the reports regarding a decline in "real" wages compared to 10 or 20 years ago either, right?
todd

I believe that "real" wages can be compared for a selected period of time to show a rise or fall. If the results don't fit the presumption of the comparing party, they will no doubt be "adjusted" with whatever will do so. I also believe that "productivity" statistics are about worthless, especially when they're dollars brought in/hour/person, instead of units of production/hour/person.
Anyone who has 21 minutes of airtime to fill each evening will fill it with whatever conspiracy theories will please the public, who hope to find absolution for their individual and collective sins in the supposed greed of everyone else.
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:03:45 +0000, Brian Elfert wrote:

Basic thermodynamics aside, that observation still isn't quite correct. You need to think of the _flow_ of money, not the money itself. A bigger economy could happen by a half-dozen multinationals increasing activity, or by a zillion little mom-n-pops increasing activity.
Anyway, those nefarious cads in the Gas Oil Petroleum boardrooms are just charging what the market will bear. Carpool and have the last laugh.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com