Cost of Cherry

Page 2 of 3
AAvK wrote: http://www.anexotichardwood.com /
I don't remember seeing cherry there but it's worth the trip none the less.
UA100
Jerry wrote:

A&M Wood in Cambridge Ontario (CANADA) lists 10"W cherry for 11.75 CDN/BF. Their quality is generally top notch.
I also know of lower quality (narrower, only 4-6' between knots or other imperfections) in the $4 range. None of it is planed/jointed. Quite a range because of quality, and demand
Cherry is in very high demand right now. There are lots of other beautiful woods out there that aren't so expensive.

Windsor Plywood here in Saskatoon has steamed cherry for under $8 CAD / bf.
djb

4 CAN$? That is not bad, Rob.
Spill!! Where? I'm in Sarnia...
*S*
Rob
Robatoy wrote:

What so you can take it all?? ;)
Check out http://www.kooturlumber.com/lumber.shtml
They have online prices. I was there about 1 month ago, and he had much more than I would need. It was unplaned so I couldn't get a real good look at the grain, but it looked straight enough. He also had better stuff for a bit more $$. A long way from Sarnia though, he is near Stoney Creek, just south of Hamilton. Small private kind of place, but quite a bit of wood.
Rob

Higher than what I pay here in Colorado. I can get select and better rough 4/4 cherry for $6.10 a bf. It's been going up and down a bit in price (mostly up by about 15% over the last year or year and a half. My big problem with cherry is that it's darned hard for me to find good quality cherry, period.
I buy either from a hardwood lumber yard or from an out-of-state supplier who trucks in once a month. The fellow who trucks in is having a devil of a time finding cherry for his mill.
Here, African mahogany is just a little cheaper than cherry but the quality of the African is very high (wide, flat, clear boards). On the other hand, Honduran mahogany is pushing $8 a bf for me.
http://www.centurymill.com/domestic.html
Use the locater drop down to check your type of wood. Multiply by .9 to get close to $USD
Looks like Select 4/4 is about $6.40 USD
Jerry wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSLumberBuyingGuide.html
I retired in 1998 with about 2000 BF each of Cherry, Walnut, and Poplar stashed away....
Today I am down to about 500 or so BF of each of them...
BUT after reading this thread I am really shook up so to speak...
Hell in another few years I guess I will have to start working with number 2 common pine or give up eating and paying my property taxes...
Kind of depressing honestly... Have Tools, Have Time, Can not afford lumber....
Bob Griffiths.
Sounds like a good opportunity to start a small business... Make money while enjoying your hobby...

BeniBoose wrote:

Either that or learn to scrounge like the rest of us. Perhaps now's the time to start working on those small projects?
--RC

The trouble with starting it as a business is that too much of your time gets sucked off on other activities that are't part of your hobby: distribution and display, advertising, marketing. However, you can minimize these distractions that don't make sawdust, and maybe make enough to keep buying cherry.
Steve
Thu, Feb 17, 2005, 10:20am rg327_remove snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (BobG.) claims: <snip> Have Tools, Have Time, Can not afford lumber....
That's why they invented pallets.
Bob G. wrote:

A similar but different problem. We don't keep stock from older projects lying about at work and much of it goes to the dumpster, or worse some fellow employee. As it is I've said I won't buy any lumber until I've used up all that I've rat holed. I can't stand the thought of ever retiring because I might miss something good.
Have Tools, have lumber, cannot afford time.
UA100

====================LOL.... I can only tell you that my TIME is not all that great either,....amazing how fast the clock can move once you retire... BUT it sure beats the hell out of working....
Bob Griffiths
Bob G. wrote:

A guy Dad knows builds custom furniture for people for free. You feed him wood, he feeds you furniture. It's the only way he can afford to sustain the habit.
I hear even at that he's not keeping himself as busy as he wants. People are having trouble affording to buy him wood.
Silvan:

Maybe he needs to charge for his labor. He'd probably be busier than a one armed paper hanger in an ass kicking contest.
UA100
Jerry wrote:

Jerry:
Over the last 3-5 years, the price for cherry (everywhere) has increased dramatically. There are at least two major reasons for the increase.
First, there was severe, if not complete, reduction of logging of cherry from the Allegheny National Forest in PA due to the work of conservationalists. Not sure if there was a specific endangered species, or just an across-the-board environmental concern. Reference:
http://www.alleghenydefense.org/press/release_020909.shtm
Secondly, and nearly simultaneously, the demand for cherry increased dramatically as it became preferred hardwood for furniture and trim in high-end houses. Witness some of the Hometime and This Old House episodes where new trimwork in libraries, etc. is often cherry. This is essentially a fad, just as was experienced by mahogany and walnut in the 20th century.
In Pittsburgh, the S4S rate for cherry is around $6/bf and rough is about $4.50/bf. If you find a small mill, you can get deals as low as $3/bf on rough. At these savings, you can justify a planer/jointer if you do a lot of work with cherry.
These rates are *more* than mahogany and walnut, again because demand is high and supply is low. In Pittsburgh, shipping isn't much of an issue.
I suspect if you're going to use a signficant amount of cherry, it may make sense to have it shipped to you and optionally, buy it rough and finish it yourself. One advantage of planing/jointing yourself is you can take your nominal 4/4 cherry to 7/8" rather than what appears to be the going rate of 3/4".
~Mark.

Exactly. I predict in 5-10 years or so, cherry will be out of vogue and the price will drop. There has been a race of cherry-oak-maple prices over the last several decades and I predict this will continue. As a woodworker, I'll select the less popular hardwoods to get a better price yet still I create a quality piece of furniture that will hopefully out live me. Many won't do this, so the cost will continue to rise. Similar to the cable TV prices are soaring up past $50 a month all because people just continue to pay it.

No joy the link, but hereabout, cherry is a fire tree - first to colonize. Don't have to stop harvesting cherry, just the stuff that shades its seedlings, and the supply will drop.