Cost of Cherry

Page 1 of 3
I'm in San Diego and the cost of cherry seems to range from $8.90 bf to $9.20. A sheet of 3/4" cherry ply is $135.00. I just bought a 1/4 sheet of 1/4" cherry for $27.
I also noticed that African Mahogany from the same supplier looks to be $7.50 or there about per bf.
Why would domestic cherry be that much more expensive than imported mahogany?
Do these prices seem high?
I'm redoing a couple bathrooms (in cherry) and am building new doors/drawers. It would be cheaper (but not as much fun) to buy pre-built, unfinished cherry doors and drawer fronts from commercial suppliers than to build?
Jerry wrote:

Quite, at least to me...
Cherry seems to be in vogue these days and SD is a "high rent" district anyway.
If it's surfaced FAS stock in relatively small quantities that's probably not to bad from a retailer.
I normally buy only 1C or 2C and will go ahead and buy at least 2-300 bdft at a time from my distributor in order to get reasonable (not the cheapest) pricing. Last I checked 1C 4/4 cherry was roughly in the $4 range. FAS would have been probably closer to $6 than $9, though I didn't price it.
check out mail order sources, one good one is
http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp
no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Cherry for $5 a bd ft., 3/4 cherry ply for $80. If you add in the shipping you're still better off.
Mutt
Jerry wrote:

be
Probably labor costs, the availability of large trees that are the most cost-effective for conversion to timber or ply, and transportation costs.
It probably costs more to truck Cherry overland from the Eastern US to California than it does to send Mahogany by boat from Central America.
Oh, you said African Mahogany. Hmm, may still be cheaper to ship.
Isn't real Mahogany about half that?
--

FF

Prices really vary depending on location with shipping being such a huge component of the cost of wood. However, $9+ seems a bit steep. Here in No. CA it was up tp $7+ last year but has com back down into the high $5-low $6.
The $9 doesn't sound quite like retail but getting close. Where are you buying?
BW
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

We hit $9 here in CT last year, but prices have now slid to the $6-$7 range for FAS Cherry.
Location...
Barry

Like real estate the 3 most important factors in determining the LOCAL cost of wood is Location, Location, Location.
I was able to buy about 40 bft. rough sawn for $2 a bf. last week from a local old-timer who definitely gave me a deal. Needless to say, I was pretty happy about it, and I plan to go back and get some more very soon.
Jerry wrote:

be
Jerry wrote:

The African Mahogany price is about what I'd pay here in Phoenix, but the Cherry price is about $1-$1.50 higher.
I suspect the difference is that shipping is essentially the same to San Diego and Phoenix on the African Mahogany and the shipping cost is higher for the cherry. But that's a guess.
--RC

It's all about supply and demand. Kiln-dried cherry around here is about $3-6 per board foot. I got a lot of free cherry from fallen trees, but it takes a year or two to air-dry it. I suggest selecting a wood with less demand. What about oak or maple? In S.California, hardwoods must be shipped there.
Oak does not give the look I need and maple would require a tinted lacquer spray finish that I cannot do. I could have picked mahogany and gotten a look like I wanted at a lower cost.
Phisherman wrote:

be
Jerry wrote:

how about birch with cherry stain, good solid wood at less than 1/2 the price and a lot more common, just a thought
Something is wrong if mahogany is less expensive than cherry. "Cherry" is often called "poor man's mahogany."

Profound.
I'll bet it has more to do with the cost of food, shelter and clothing in the areas where the two are harvested.
Wed, Feb 16, 2005, 2:07pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jerry) asks: <snip> Do these prices seem high? <snip>
To me, yes. But, I thought everything in Califphoney costs more than in the real world.
Cherry (1)#375$8.49 bdft 4/4 (S2S,FAS) Cherry (2)#385$7.45 bdft 5/4 (S2S,FAS) Cherry (3)#376$11.00 bdft 8/4 (S2S,FAS) Cherry (4)#12241$10.00 bdft 12/4 (Rough) (S2S,FAS) http://www.capitalcitylumber.com/hardwoods.cfm , Raleigh, NC Pricey stuff
Steve

WOW!! Where in SandyEggo are you shopping for wood??? Last time I bought cherry was about a year ago and I paid $4.20/bf. Try Hardwood & Hardware in the Miramar area or Lane Stanton Vance in San Marcos.
The other Jerry from San Diego.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:58:40 GMT, the inscrutable "Deborah Buerfeind"

Or Cut and Dried Hardwoods on Cedros in Solana Beach. Excellent selection of good woods. http://www.cutanddriedhardwood.com/lumber/lumber.htm

The other Larry previously from the Sandy Eggo area.

I lived on S. Cedros when I was 8.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com