Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

Page 1 of 3
Someone mentioned the other day that there seems to be a high correlation between woodworkers and computer-oriented folks. After giving the matter serious consideration for about two minutes, it occurred to me that the computer-oriented folks were the most likely to get to this newsgroup. How big is the percentage of non-computer-oriented folks who are familiar with Usenet? The number of woodworkers on computers in not small though--about 17000 over at LumberJocks.com, for instance.
Bill

Yup... like there being a high correlation between the number of fire trucks and the size of the fire.... some folks might get the casual direction backwards. Though, around here there seem to have been a lot of volunteers lighting fires over the years so maybe that's a bad example...
John

It would be extremely rare for a non-computer oriented person to know about USENET. A better question is, "How many computer users know about USENET? Very few from my experience. Off the top of my head, I know of one other out of dozens of people connected to the internet.

...and how many of them were using the Internet before the World Wide Web?

How many (aside from Al Gore) know there is a difference?
wrote

Gotta admit that I don't miss Archie, Veronica , Kermit, and the gang... or having to "dial in." ;~)
John
On 4/16/10 7:31 AM, "John Grossbohlin"

How many of you were on ARPAnet or MILnet?
Who remembers when Usenet was transported primarily by having one news server place a phone call to another?

I was a First Class hub for OneNet.

Raises hand. I got and sent e-mail that way for nearly 4 years.
Who remembers the significance of 'ihnp4', or 'cbosgd'?
Who remembers 'bangpath' email addressing?
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:06:27 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) scrawled the following:

VAGUELY. I remember having to ask what the exclamation point was for way, way back.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

It is anything like "return comma splat" (return, *).
(old CDC Cyber 172 lingo, I think).
Bill
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

Bangpaths? Phssst. Those were trivial. I ran a mail hub that handled UUCP, BITNET, AND DECNET simultaneously.
Nothing like getting some email addressed like this and trying to decide where it needed to go.
BIGVAX::kremvax!user% snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

Raises hand. I first posted in 1984. ARPAnet connection required a Department of Defense contract. Al Gore made it possible for people without government contracts to get connected.
Thank you everone! This whole chain takes me WAY back. I started working with computers back in 1968, we had an IBM 1401 and a 7070. Neither had real stored program capability. It was a huge step forward when my company finally got a 360/50....lol. I still remember "programing" unit record devices using plug boards!!
Spent some of my time in the telecommunications field and used Usenet (started as Bitnet actually). Didn't really find NetNews all that usefull until Mosaic came along and gave us a decent user interface.
Joined IBM a few years later and just retired last year. Been a woodworker for a lot of years, but my job involved a lot of travel (Computer Security) so really didn't have the time to devote to my hobby. Well,...now that I'm retired I have been able to devote much more time to it and I love it!
Working it the IT industry most of my output was intellectual but wordworking is very tangeable. You can step back and get intstant gratification from what you created. I find it VERY satisfyiing...and I'll bet many woodworkers are computer vets.
Thanks again for the memories.
wrote

I joined IBM right out of college in '74 and retired (from IBM) at the end of '06. I ran on my "buy-out" for a while, got the house in shape to sell, then got bored (SWMBO wouldn't let me make any more messes) and went back to work. I figure I have another seven years before I really retire. By then I should have all the toys. ;-)

I've been doing electronics design pretty much since college. Design is intellectual and definitely has a tangible result. I find it quite similar, in fact, to woodworking but woodworking has the advantages of no boss, no deadlines, and no crap work. Well, there is sanding... ;-)
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:28:35 -0400, the infamous "John Grossbohlin"

THAT will quickly pare the number down.
I was using RIME BBSes before the WWW, but that drew me to the Internet.
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

Internet, RIME and Relay Net... and then Mosaic. Of course there wasn't much to browse at that point. ;~)
John
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:02:12 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Don't recall those, but I did use Fido BBSs quite a bit. On my S100 buss CP/M boat anchor.
And yes, we used to spell it "buss" :-).

I ran ZP/M on mine (Z-80 CPU) with memory boards that I designed and wire wrapped myself/ But that was my third micro computer.
And I had been using commercial computers for tne years by the time I got to micros.

Any relationship to the Bussman company, that makes fuses and other electrical distribution materials?
Puckdropper