Correction of blotchy stain

I believe I got some bad advice. I'm re-finishing an oak front door. I really wanted to see the wood, so I went against most recommendations to just paint over it with latex. They guy at the paint store told me to apply the stain (exterior stain) with a brush and let it dry. I asked him do I wipe it off after a few minutes? He sain no, it's not a wiping stain. So now there are several areas on the door where the stain was either applied at slightly different rates (brush marks) or where the wood absorbed it differently.
So how do I correct it? Should I try another coat? or I had the idea to go over it with a rag soaked with mineral spirits. Or should I sand again? If I sand what grit? Mark
I would wipe off what I could with a relevant solvent, and see what I had from there. Oak usually takes stain pretty evenly in my experience, so maybe wiping off buildup in spots will even it out.

Either the store guy misunderstood your question or he is ignorant. I always apply stain and wipe off the excess before it dries.
There are wiping stains but that refers to the method of application..not the method of removal.
Try a thinner and or resand. 180 grit should be fine as the final grit.