Corner Cab - work in progress

Yeah, truly magnificent work.

Reply to
Leon

What I was after (I didn't ask it clearly,) was, do you use points, silicon, or small wood trim pieces to hold in the glass? I have yet to see an 'elegant' way to do that which doesn't involve hours of making and mounting moulding strips.

Reply to
Robatoy

NO you are correct, he absolutely does not mean that.

As Swingman has indicated in the past, we have worked together on a few kitchen projects in the last few years and I have truly learned a few of those tricks that were up his sleeve. I believe when working together that we greatly compliment each other and the results are some very nice kitchens. A good woodworker is always open to learn new ideas and ways to do things.

Reply to
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote

On square glass kitchen doors with a single pane and no muntins, I generally use a rabbeted face frame (not dado, sorry) and silicon.

For a piece of furniture, both judiciously applied silicon to stop the rattle, and wood trim, attached with pins.

Since there are gently curved rails at the top of each glass door that mimic the base of the cabinet, I'm undecided which avenue I will take on these glass doors.

the glass guy can duplicate the slight curve with no problem, I will route a dado after the face frames are glued up; if not, I'll give him a square, routed out area on the back of the top rails that will accept a rectangular piece of glass.

I wish I knew, because I have the bottom doors glued up and drying and I'm twiddling my thumbs as we speak.

Reply to
Swingman

"Leon" wrote

30 years ago, a 16 hand Thoroughbred hunter, and that's Fox Hunting attire, son. :)

Tally ho!

Reply to
Swingman

"Tanus" wrote

Wow, thanks! Didn't meant to start a lovefest. :)

Do indeed get blown a way when I see top notch work, and just thought I'd mention what I saw yesterday.

Reply to
Swingman

No, I didn't mean to start one either. As others have said, and quite recently, it's often a joy to read the things people put down here. It's also a thrill to see the pictures of what someone's accomplished.

I don't want to be maudlin, nor do I want to embarrass anyone, but I do want to show my appreciation for the contribution that you and many others make to the forum, both in text and webpages.

Reply to
Tanus

I have used silicon there also. One of the very few times I will tape a silicon job. But it's silicon..I don't think it belongs on furniture. Also, I absolutely hate that shit and in the countertop business, I go through a lot of it, even when scribing to the walls. (They're not straight, you know....)

See? A question, an answer. I always forget I have that pinner. That should do a great job in that application. I'll make a bunch of small trim...cool. Problem solved.

When you have time, give Long Road Out Of Eden a listen. Took me 4-5 tries to have it work for me...but them Eagles are the epitomy of slick. I have always been a huge Eagles fan, but was leery to try this new CD. I didn't not want to be disappointed. Then I read a review in Rolling Stone magazine which had a line in it which made me go buy it: ==== Walsh's "Last Good Time in Town" is a wry cantina-swing sequel to "Life in the Fast Lane" -- staying home apparently is the new going out -- and he cuts through the salsa-lounge grooming with James Gang- era guitar. Seven minutes, though, is a long time to sing about doing f*ck-all. ==== LOL. As a guy who has worked both sides of the glass in the studio, you'll appreciate the art. Can there be a recording that is 'too well done?"

Robatoy

OK you guys, get a room.

The party drinks make the mind more amiable to questionable beauty. Seriously. Haven't you ever awakened on a Saturday morning and... Oh well, at least you got blown one way or another.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I have the stitch marks where they re-attached my arm to prove it.

Reply to
Robatoy

Unless you are requesting tempered glass, it quite easy to cut curves in float glass. I know a guy who can freehand it. I can do it with guidelines, and I _know_ you could too. Give him a template or the frame and it should be no problem at all. Besides, curved glass looks so much more eloquent when opeing the door.

I'm waiting on glue to dry... Again...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

You suck.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

LMAO ... it 80 g(*%&()*m degrees outside here, Bubba. Eat your heart out! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Well then you'll love this, Rob. I blew out the shop this morning with a leaf blower. It's 74 degrees right now. Predicted 76 tomorrow. Down side is the 7 months of swealtering heat and humidity in summer (yet we're in a drought), and the scant two weeks of spring and fall.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

"Robatoy" wrote

Not on the "recording" end, IMO. It's like wooddorking, you shoot for the moon and hit the top of your Keds, on a good day ... and you can always try to polish at turd/song, providing you can get a firm grasp on the clean end.

I saw an interview with Walsh the other day and it looked interesting ... thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
Swingman

"Greg G." wrote

I agree ... and it's so much easier to run a router with a bearing bit and then square up the corners than trying to blind cut stopped dadoes.

Never stopped to think about why, but I have an aversion to working with/handling glass ... simply don't want to touch the stuff, therefore the complete ignorance on the subject.

Pretty much the same way about plumbing ... I can do anything in construction, from foundations to roofing, but I won't even replace a faucet washer without a gun to my head.

Reply to
Swingman

A sweaty pile of woodworkers, what an image!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Tanus" wrote

Thank you very much for those kind words! I'm glad you get some use of the site. I enjoy, and benefit from, keeping the webpage updated, it serves a secondary function of helping me overcome CRS these days.

Reply to
Swingman

Would never consider trapping glass in a dado unless one rail unscrewed, but you are right about the bearing bit. The best part is that you have no worries about the corners lining up evenly due to inaccuracies in the positioning of the cuts on the individual sticks. Or something like that...

Odd, considering your breadth of experience; but to each to his own. It's _really_ easy, however. Just watch the edges. You can get thin float glass on a Sunday from the Borg and cut it in minutes. Even knock off the edges with emory cloth and sandblast patterns with a simple thin rubber mask cut with an Xacto knife. All kinds of neat stuff you can do with glass fairly easily. Just not barefooted.

I pass on the foundations due to the degree of humping involved, roofing due to the monotony (and the humping), but electrical and plumbing are OK. But that's me. I can't play the trumpet either. Even with a gun to my head.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Then it begs to be said again: YOU suck as well then...

I don't mind 'winter' as such.. even when it get really cold and snowy. That is what winter is, you dress for it, block heaters and that sort of stuff. It is that just-below freezing, chilly winds with some wetness that can't be described as either rain sleet or snow...that's the crap that gets to me. Angela and I actually invested in a two-zone electric blanket this year... with pre-heat. I may have been a waffle in a previous life. Good thing that blanket has a 10-hour auto shutoff. Now we have reprogrammed the thermostat for lower night temperatures and have the window open a crack for that crisp Canadian air.

Reply to
Robatoy