Cork pop guns

I've made a few cork pop guns using a PCV pipe and a dowel with an O ring to ensure a tight fit. But I need advise as to the proper lubricant to prevent the thing from sticking. Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their effectiveness.

I thank you for your help.

Reply to
Homer Bruno

I wonder how long it will take this thread to go off topic? Whoops! I think it just did!

PS How can the people in Kentucky eat that stuff?

Reply to
alexy

Have you tried using a cork instead of dowel with an o-ring? That seems to work well. Wine bottles are not sealed with o-rings. Or try one of the new plastic corks?

-j

Try Dow Corning 111 silicon grease

Works for YEARS to lubricate orings in scuba gear, but probably should be re-lubed yearly

John

Reply to
John

Petroleum based lubricants will break down or break down the rubber O-ring. Try silicon lubricants. They last longer without decomposing. You should be able to get silicon based grease at any auto parts outlet.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

I don't know. It tastes terrible. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Silvan

To John and Bob- Thank you

Reply to
Homer Bruno

It has a little bit to do with how tight the O-ring fits the pipe. Try machining down the groove that holds the O-ring, than if you get too much leakage, try a second O-ring, in parallel to the first.

And use silicone grease.

Make sense?

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

DAMHIYT?! I wouldn't listen if you told me!!!!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Well, since you asked... Once upon a time... :)

Reply to
Silvan