Corian router tables?

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

My woodturning skills are in their infancy, and a significantly bigger and/or better, lathe than this new one, a Jet 1442VS, triples the cost, even before I consider the electrical wiring.
Besides, the _last thing_ I want to start is an escalating spiral of whose equipment costs more, or whose hobby is more important. That's a losing game, for certain.
Patriarch

mine is. works great. build a suitable frame under it so it wont sag and use a router plate insert. i had mine mounted directly to the corian for a while but didnt think the corian would support well enough. i had visions of the screws pulling through.
skeez
Try Swanstone, it's is the strongest I have used. It is filled with glass fibre, can't break it with a hammer. Do on-line search for distributors and call, they usually have damaged peices they might sale.
Ken

line pretty soon after I did my tests.
Swanstone has been 1/2" for about a year now , the neatest thing is the edge is already part of the top , no gluing except for angles and so forth. You might give it another try, much better then 1/4".
Ken

As to why others don't use Corian (or nairoc) and this is just a guess:
I was quoted $22.50 per square foot for some Corian (retail price) for a 12 inch by 24 inch piece. YMMV, but about $50.00 for a router table top seems a little steep. You were lucky I didn't know about that auction you were at. $5.00 !!!!!! Dang IT all.
Oh, BTW: when you do use a power tool on Corian (or non-DuPont look alikes) please use a dust mask. MSDS for Corian (specific to DuPont's trade named product Corian, not valid for other mfg.) http://www.parksite.com/productgroups/msds/msds_3_40.pdf
Free woodworkers pamphlet at Art Specialties International, Inc. "How to Work with Corina in the Homeworkshop" http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/?502 scroll down and click on link Free Stuff.
HTH Phil

500sf for $50. I gave him $5 for the 3 big pieces I wanted plus some sink cutouts; he was glad to have less to carry out. I am sure he would be glad to give you some also; if you could find him.

almost no dust; but with a saw or router it is probably another story. Thanks for the warning.

It is nuisance dust. Period. Many wood species are nastier. There is no chemical dark side to acrylic solid surfacing. It won't even sustain combustion. But whilst exposed to an external, hot open flame, you may not want to breathe the smoke... The bulk of the composition is aluminum trihydrate ATH, a compound extracted from mother earth via the Bayer process of making aluminum from bauxite...ATH is a refined mineral.
Robatoy wrote:

It may be nuisance dust but having your lungs full of nuisance dust doesn't help your breathing.
As for "a compound extracted from mother earth", uranium is a refined mineral too--don't equate "natural" with safe.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Agreed. Any dust in the lungs will hurt you. I was trying to point out that there anything ultra-mysteriously nasty about it.

Fair enough. Opium is quite natural as well. Again, I was trying to point out that it wasn't some diabolical man-conceived carcinogenic. I should have been more specific. Thanks for the heads-up.

500sf for $50. I gave him $5 for the 3 big pieces I wanted plus some sink cutouts; he was glad to have less to carry out. I am sure he would be glad to give you some also; if you could find him.

almost no dust; but with a saw or router it is probably another story. Thanks for the warning.

I think Corian should make a nice router table top. I might use two glued pieces with a different size cutout to hold the router base plate. You can use another piece to cut out a fence.
The reason you don't hear of it is the cost of a sheet of the no name solid surface is over $500 for 4x10x1/2" qwhich need at least 1/4" backer plywood. the means a avg router top would cost over $125. thats to step for my blood. It would be very nice and smooth, but hey $125 goes a long way to some nice toys for the shop.
--
Remember 9/11
God Bless US

for $50 (out of which I got my stuff for $5).
I occasionally have pieces that I sell for about $25-$50 plenty big enough for router tops, Raw stock is 27 x 145 x 1/2" with integral edge, About $400.00. I can get 6 top from One sheet. $400/6= <$70.00 easy to flatten also. Shop made body file.
Ken

for $50 (out of which I got my stuff for $5).
thats not shopping thats steping in youy know what and coming up a smelling like a rose.

I'll give ya' $5 + shipping for a 2' x 3' piece!
That will make your purchase free!
Barry