Corian router tables?

Swanstone is only 1/4" thick. Adhesion is difficult. I dropped that line pretty soon after I did my tests.

Reply to
Robatoy

Actually I didn't even bid because the lot was too big. A guy won about

500sf for $50. I gave him $5 for the 3 big pieces I wanted plus some sink cutouts; he was glad to have less to carry out. I am sure he would be glad to give you some also; if you could find him.

almost no dust; but with a saw or router it is probably another story. Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
toller

NEVER use a jigsaw on solid surface. It creates micro-fissures. Cleanup with a router will not get rid of those fissures unless you take off 1-2 inches.... with a router. Rotary cutting action only...sawblade, router bit...

Reply to
Robatoy

Actually most manufacturers of acrylic router plates do not recomend leaving a router hanging when not in use. The plate, mine that was 3/8" thick bowed from the weight of a router in about 6 months. It did just fine for the first 4 years but after changing to an apparently heavier router it bowed downward.

Reply to
Leon

The reason you don't hear of it is the cost of a sheet of the no name solid surface is over $500 for 4x10x1/2" qwhich need at least 1/4" backer plywood. the means a avg router top would cost over $125. thats to step for my blood. It would be very nice and smooth, but hey $125 goes a long way to some nice toys for the shop.

Reply to
Ken Grunenberg

"Upscale" wrote in news:soCdneJ7eIvAyf snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Well, the good news is she either didn't recognize the new lathe in the corner there, or chose not to say anything to me about it. Maybe a new quilter's sewing machine is on order??

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Don't the prices of some of those things cost more than a decent lathe? Sounds to me that it would be cheaper for you to negotiate one of those sewing machines for her and balance it with a bigger machine for yourself.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:WbmdnSP snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

My woodturning skills are in their infancy, and a significantly bigger and/or better, lathe than this new one, a Jet 1442VS, triples the cost, even before I consider the electrical wiring.

Besides, the _last thing_ I want to start is an escalating spiral of whose equipment costs more, or whose hobby is more important. That's a losing game, for certain.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Not if you shop carefully. There was a piece that big in the lot that went for $50 (out of which I got my stuff for $5).

Reply to
toller

Swanstone has been 1/2" for about a year now , the neatest thing is the edge is already part of the top , no gluing except for angles and so forth. You might give it another try, much better then 1/4".

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I occasionally have pieces that I sell for about $25-$50 plenty big enough for router tops, Raw stock is 27 x 145 x 1/2" with integral edge, About $400.00. I can get 6 top from One sheet. $400/6=

Reply to
Ken

It is nuisance dust. Period. Many wood species are nastier. There is no chemical dark side to acrylic solid surfacing. It won't even sustain combustion. But whilst exposed to an external, hot open flame, you may not want to breathe the smoke... The bulk of the composition is aluminum trihydrate ATH, a compound extracted from mother earth via the Bayer process of making aluminum from bauxite...ATH is a refined mineral.

Reply to
Robatoy

It may be nuisance dust but having your lungs full of nuisance dust doesn't help your breathing.

As for "a compound extracted from mother earth", uranium is a refined mineral too--don't equate "natural" with safe.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Agreed. Any dust in the lungs will hurt you. I was trying to point out that there anything ultra-mysteriously nasty about it.

Fair enough. Opium is quite natural as well. Again, I was trying to point out that it wasn't some diabolical man-conceived carcinogenic. I should have been more specific. Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not if you shop carefully. There was a piece that big in the lot that went for $50 (out of which I got my stuff for $5).

Reply to
toller

Actually I didn't even bid because the lot was too big. A guy won about

500sf for $50. I gave him $5 for the 3 big pieces I wanted plus some sink cutouts; he was glad to have less to carry out. I am sure he would be glad to give you some also; if you could find him.

almost no dust; but with a saw or router it is probably another story. Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
toller

thats not shopping thats steping in youy know what and coming up a smelling like a rose.

Reply to
Ken Grunenberg

I'll give ya' $5 + shipping for a 2' x 3' piece!

That will make your purchase free!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y