Corian Router table

I was given some Corian counter top from a friend that was redoing his kitchen. I was thinking about using it to replace the work surface on my router table. Any one done this before?

Reply to
gren

This will make an very good top, use 320-400 grit paper to renew the surface and use carbide to make any cuts, Probably 1/2 inch thick, so any mitre slot is out unless you can fuse another sheet to it to give it added thickness. Other then than that go for it. I am a fabricator of solid surface besides being a cabinet maker. You can also wax it to give it a slicker surface, even go as far as buffing it with rubbing compound if you like.

Good luck Ken

Reply to
Ken K

thats what i used. works great. you can make miter slots by placing the pieces correctly and build up the bottom of the slot with laminate strips. if ya like i can post some pics. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

I'd be wary of it, I have seen it crack from vibration, possibly due to the way it was originally machined though, it can have microscopic hairline cracks that will propagate with vibration if it hasn't been machined just right. I would prefer to go for a fibre reinforced material. Corian can be brittle and i wouldn't want it shattering on me while i was using a router attached to it. I think I'd prefer a phenolic fabric like Tufnol, or a GRP material.

Reply to
Simon