Page 2 of 2
"Robatoy" wrote
An eggbeater drill, on the other hand, is truly independent from any cords/chargers or fleeting memory. =============== Fleeting memory?? FLEETING MEMORY??
Harumph!
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Luddite.
"HeyBub" wrote

Hardly. I use a lot of technology in my work. But sometimes simple is best.
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 00:05:20 -0400, Lee Michaels wrote:

I've got an small old eggbeater from Goodell-Pratt circa 1898 and a somewhat newer larger one. ALso a couple of old push drills, one Goodell- Pratt and one Stanley.
I love'em all :-).

The second time you snag the webbing of your thumb between the pinion and crank wheel gears while tightening the chuck, you'll understand that it is a sign of intelligence to recognize that you've made the same mistake twice.
I love my eggbeater, but it's bitten me worse than some of my corded friends.

I have a modern version of this old drill. It is completely enclosed with no exposed gears. I think it is ugly but no pinching.
It is a cheapie. But I am not really placing any real demands on it.

Mine has been in use for about 20 years. Been dropped on concrete and had various and sundry items dropped on it. They take a licking and keep on drilling.

The gears on the plastic eggbeaters are enclosed.

For a lot of things. I just got through helping my son hang sheetrock after gutting part of his kitchen. I would f...ing hate to try that with an egbeater (which I own) or even a crankshaft drill (I've got 2). We used a Rigid 12V and it was a dream to use. I don't need lectures from you 18V guys - the ergonimics of the Rigid beats the c..p out of any drill that has that lump at the base. When the battery went we just stuck it in the charger and used the 2nd battery (it comes with 2 batteries & charger & case for $99). Before the 2nd one went dead, the 1st was charged. Its got a clutch lock-out and 16 clutch settings, key free chuck (with no lock button needed, thank you very much), a light on the work area, reverse, variable speed, and plenty enough torque to drive deck screws and drill cast iron and steel. No conflict of interest. It's just one of the 2 best hand tool purchases I ever made. The other was a Bosch jigsaw. More features than Carter has little peanuts. I better get off this soapbox.
I like an eggbeater drill for drilling out broken screws because I have great control. With even a variable speed electric drill, it's always tempting to pull the trigger all the way and then things can get out of hand quickly.
If you are interested in getting one, you can find them on Ebay for (usually) reasonable prices; $10 and up.
Not all eggbeater drills were created equal, so do a little googling to learn more.
You might start with this page: http://homepage.mac.com/galoot_9/eggbeater.html
I re-learned to use one when I took a class to make a medieval metal chest. (Still no quite finished) (See: http://www.spaco.org/chest.htm if interested.)
After chiseling and jeweler's sawing for hours and hours, I didn't want to take any chances with the small holes being misaligned and the hand powered drilling machine was just the ticket. Besides, it was in character for the other fabrication methods I learned.
Pete Stanaitis ----------------
On Apr 19, 12:05am, "Lee Michaels"

Simplify bit changing by replacing the chuck with a keyed Jacobs salvaged from a dead power drill.
These are great for drilling small holes within an inch of an inside corner. Flea markets are the cheapest source. No sense paying the better part of $100 for a new tool that only sees occasional use.
I suppose you could always cobble together a bow drill from the armature from a dead electric drill, a stick, and a piece of rope.