Cordless Eggbeater Drill

The gears on the plastic eggbeaters are enclosed.

Reply to
LDosser

Mine has been in use for about 20 years. Been dropped on concrete and had various and sundry items dropped on it. They take a licking and keep on drilling.

Reply to
LDosser

Yep. They used to be not quite so bad, but over the last 15 or so years it's become outrageous. Definitely the display cabinet market. That said, I do own three of their tools. A combination square bought at a charity auction , a blem 7" bevel picked up in their shop, and a new in open box BV-1 that I got for $40 including shipping on eBay.

for some of the small stuff I play with!

Reply to
LDosser

40 bucks is about the right price for that. I can't believe they're asking almost 200 bucks for a glorified Panavise.
Reply to
J. Clarke

Hey, kid! You'll put your eye out with that thing!

Reply to
Steve

----------------------------------------- First saw a Panavise in the early '60s.

Still have one in it's box, buried in a desk drawer someplace.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

For a lot of things. I just got through helping my son hang sheetrock after gutting part of his kitchen. I would f...ing hate to try that with an egbeater (which I own) or even a crankshaft drill (I've got

2). We used a Rigid 12V and it was a dream to use. I don't need lectures from you 18V guys - the ergonimics of the Rigid beats the c..p out of any drill that has that lump at the base. When the battery went we just stuck it in the charger and used the 2nd battery (it comes with 2 batteries & charger & case for $99). Before the 2nd one went dead, the 1st was charged. Its got a clutch lock-out and 16 clutch settings, key free chuck (with no lock button needed, thank you very much), a light on the work area, reverse, variable speed, and plenty enough torque to drive deck screws and drill cast iron and steel. No conflict of interest. It's just one of the 2 best hand tool purchases I ever made. The other was a Bosch jigsaw. More features than Carter has little peanuts. I better get off this soapbox.
Reply to
burtwitlin

It is very well made and designed.

Reply to
LDosser

Do you have any advice as to how to sharpen the bits? I have a push drill, I don't think it's a Stanley, but I've snapped the smallest bit, and some of the bigger ones don't cut as fast.

I'm pretty sure my Drill Doctor w> >

Reply to
N Hurst

I like an eggbeater drill for drilling out broken screws because I have great control. With even a variable speed electric drill, it's always tempting to pull the trigger all the way and then things can get out of hand quickly.

If you are interested in getting one, you can find them on Ebay for (usually) reasonable prices; $10 and up.

Not all eggbeater drills were created equal, so do a little googling to learn more.

You might start with this page:

re-learned to use one when I took a class to make a medieval metal chest. (Still no quite finished) (See:
interested.)

After chiseling and jeweler's sawing for hours and hours, I didn't want to take any chances with the small holes being misaligned and the hand powered drilling machine was just the ticket. Besides, it was in character for the other fabrication methods I learned.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

Simplify bit changing by replacing the chuck with a keyed Jacobs salvaged from a dead power drill.

These are great for drilling small holes within an inch of an inside corner. Flea markets are the cheapest source. No sense paying the better part of $100 for a new tool that only sees occasional use.

I suppose you could always cobble together a bow drill from the armature from a dead electric drill, a stick, and a piece of rope.

Reply to
Father Haskell