Cordless drill - which one to buy??

Page 2 of 2
J. Clarke wrote:

I honestly can't remember where my corded drill is. <G>
Add pictures here
✖

For making holes, I use corded stuff, mostly. For driving screws, I use 2 impact drivers. I do pack a couple of cordless drills on an install, but seldom use them. I also have a 1/2" Milwaukee, corded..which kinda reminds me of this ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdBQbj_6MvM

Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote

Yep, my Milwaukee 1/2" corded will do that ... as my wrists will occasionally verify.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Let's see... There's no batteries to mess with (charge and watch die), there's about 10 times the power available, and the corded drill doesn't even blink when I throw screws from 3/4" to 4" at it.
Puckdropper

✖
On Sep 16, 11:29 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

All true, which is why I've got a Bosch corded drill, but that is useless when I'm 150' away running screws into something around our storage shed, so that works best with a cordless. I've got a Bosch 14.4, a DeWalt 12 and 14.4, and a Makita with 12V NiMH batteries. The Makita battery is crap; NiMH batteries self discharge at an incredible rate. It's also about 4 years old, so now the batteries only hold a 1/10th charge and discharge before two holes are drilled. Li-ion is the way to go, as far as I can see, at least for the next couple of years. Not cheap, though. The Makita drill is fine, pre-dating the current contest between Hitachi and Makita to see which one can turn up the hand tool that looks most like chameleon puke.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 16, 11:29 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I ended up with a corded Makita 1/2" (9/16) chuck and hammer function. It came as a freebie with my LS 1013 mitre saw.
I already had a Milwaukee corded 1/2" monster, one I use for drilling faucet holes.
That Makita is half the weight of the Milwaukee with plenty of power. I use it in the shop....all the time. I also use a Milwaukee corded angle drill as much as I can. The thing just fits my hand nicely.
sooo >>>>> Let's see... There's no batteries to mess with (charge and watch die),

I'm with Puck on this one.
Add pictures here
✖
All this talk about corded drills...
Back in the day before cordless drills were widely available, I used to make rustic furniture. Everything was held together by lag screws and other large screws. I was wasteing a lot of time changeing bits.
So I went to the Back and Decker service center. This was the days when it was a good brand. They had a line of industrial tools. I bought three half inch rebuilt corded drills. I think they were $40 each. For a few bucks more, they gave me a really long cord for each. The cords were interchangable and could be used as an extension cord in a pinch.
I needed three drills. One was to countersink the lag screw. One to drill the pilot hole. And one to drill out the hole for the shank of the lag screw. I taped the chuck key onto the cord close to the drill. When I was working, I was very efficient with the three drills.
I beat the hell out of those drills for years. They never faltered. I eventually lost one and gave one to a friend. I still have one, 35 years old! And it was a rebuilt one too. It is still strong as a horse, though not quite as strong and quick as it was many years ago. (I think we all suffer from that problem.)
About 15 years ago, I bought a 9.6 volt makita. I liked the clutch in it for driving screws. It has done just fine for me. I will be using it in my office in the next couple of days for some minor repairs. Just charge up the battery and it is good to go.
I am not sure what I would use if I was ever to get back into any kind of production. But those old, orange, rebuilt Black and Decker corded drills built well over a hundred, big rustic furniture pieces.
Add pictures here
✖

I prefer corded over battery. It lasts and lasts, never quits. All of the outlets I installed 18 years ago makes it easy. Milwaulkee is my corded drill.
Add pictures here
✖

Two years ago I headed to the store to buy a Bosch 18V or Milwaukee. I walked out with the Panasonic 15.6V and I'm still very happy with it. Powerful, but yet a nice feel and relatively light weight. Be sure to handle one before you make your final decision.
Add pictures here
✖
DeWalt 18v, hands down. It's the one ubiquitous cordless drill you see on construction jobsites ... get a couple of extra batteries and when they're tired have them rebuilt with more powerful cells.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Add pictures here