Cordless drill - which one to buy??

compact and can >easily get into small spaces....If the feel is okay for you, Ridgid might be nice due to the >lifetime service agreement which includes replacing dead batteries. Maybe not

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to all who have added to my knowledge base! I guess the search has just begun.

Reply to
remuddler

I have 3/8 cordless dewalt 14.4. I haven't given it much thought since it's given me zero problems. That's what I want in a tool.

S.

Reply to
samson

Not me. My 3/8 Milwaukee is kept and has been used as a backup drill when the cordless needs charging or just bogs down a bit. Of course, that cordless was a 15 year old 12v model and now that I've upgraded to an 18v DeWalt cordless 1/2" drill, I might now find the corded to be not used any more. Doubtful I'll ever give it away though. I'm too much of a packrat.

Reply to
Upscale

I ended up with a corded Makita 1/2" (9/16) chuck and hammer function. It came as a freebie with my LS 1013 mitre saw.

I already had a Milwaukee corded 1/2" monster, one I use for drilling faucet holes.

That Makita is half the weight of the Milwaukee with plenty of power. I use it in the shop....all the time. I also use a Milwaukee corded angle drill as much as I can. The thing just fits my hand nicely.

sooo >>>>> Let's see... There's no batteries to mess with (charge and watch die),

I'm with Puck on this one.

Reply to
Robatoy

All this talk about corded drills...

Back in the day before cordless drills were widely available, I used to make rustic furniture. Everything was held together by lag screws and other large screws. I was wasteing a lot of time changeing bits.

So I went to the Back and Decker service center. This was the days when it was a good brand. They had a line of industrial tools. I bought three half inch rebuilt corded drills. I think they were $40 each. For a few bucks more, they gave me a really long cord for each. The cords were interchangable and could be used as an extension cord in a pinch.

I needed three drills. One was to countersink the lag screw. One to drill the pilot hole. And one to drill out the hole for the shank of the lag screw. I taped the chuck key onto the cord close to the drill. When I was working, I was very efficient with the three drills.

I beat the hell out of those drills for years. They never faltered. I eventually lost one and gave one to a friend. I still have one, 35 years old! And it was a rebuilt one too. It is still strong as a horse, though not quite as strong and quick as it was many years ago. (I think we all suffer from that problem.)

About 15 years ago, I bought a 9.6 volt makita. I liked the clutch in it for driving screws. It has done just fine for me. I will be using it in my office in the next couple of days for some minor repairs. Just charge up the battery and it is good to go.

I am not sure what I would use if I was ever to get back into any kind of production. But those old, orange, rebuilt Black and Decker corded drills built well over a hundred, big rustic furniture pieces.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

DeWalt 18v, hands down. It's the one ubiquitous cordless drill you see on construction jobsites ... get a couple of extra batteries and when they're tired have them rebuilt with more powerful cells.

Reply to
Swingman

I honestly can't remember where my corded drill is.

Reply to
B A R R Y

When my cordless drill needs charging I just swap the battery that's in it for the one that's in the charger.

Reply to
J. Clarke

For making holes, I use corded stuff, mostly. For driving screws, I use 2 impact drivers. I do pack a couple of cordless drills on an install, but seldom use them. I also have a 1/2" Milwaukee, corded..which kinda reminds me of this ad:

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

occasionally verify.

Reply to
Swingman

This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time.

ilo_ffo