Cordless drill clutch settings?

Page 1 of 2
I need more torque before the clutch slips. Will the upgrade from a DeWalt DCD790 to a DCD990 provide more torque on the highest clutch setting?
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-drills-drilldrivers-dcd790d2.aspx
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-drills-drilldrivers-dcd990m2.aspx
I will ask around.
Thanks.
Apparently I found the answer in reviews of the product.
email.me:

What was the answer?
I occasionally have the same problem as someone else, and if they post the solution sometimes it helps me solve my problem.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

That would be my thought as well. Or, if you're drilling and the clutch is slipping, that probably means you're using too big of a bit, and need to move to a corded drill.
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

I dunno about _his_ but mine has a "drill" setting in which the clutch is locked out.
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:42:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"

My thought exactly. Just what is he trying to accomplish?
krw wrote:

He described what he wanted perfectly clear. He wants to be able to apply more torque before the clutch slips. gee-whiz! ; )

At the last click, it won't.

He's using it to power a bicycle, and he's made some interesting reports about it.
--
Ed Huntress

@optonline.net says...

If that's what he's doing then why does he need the clutch to slip?
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 06:05:09 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I don't remember. He's discussed it, and you'll find discussion about it over the past few weeks.
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 16:11:25 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

I would have thought you'd just pedal-start and then engage the motor. I realize it's a different thing, but I rode a Solex moped for a year around Lausanne, Switzerland when I was a student there, and it was pedal-start. Very simple: no clutch, no starter cord, and it worked great.
--
Ed Huntress

On 7/16/2015 7:24 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Typically you don't drill in a clutch setting. That is pretty much pointless.

I've taken to drilling in the highest clutch setting for most holes. If the drill bit catches, the drill won't try to twist my hand off. When I need a the extra to get through the hole, it's a simple click over to drill mode.
FWIW, most the holes I drill are less than 1/4".
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 18 Jul 2015 07:44:14 GMT, Puckdropper

Wow! A 1/4" drill bit is going to twist your hand off? What are you drilling?

Scratch that last comment... Now that I've stopped to think a little more about what actually causes most issues, it's probably the 1/2"+ holes drilled with spade bits.
While the drill is not likely to actually hurt me if the bit catches, I'd rather have the chuck slip instead of my hand suddenly move.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 19 Jul 2015 02:32:16 GMT, Puckdropper

Even a 1/2" spade bit... But I get your point. I wasn't thinking about spade bits (rarely use them) and they can get rather large. I still don't use the clutch, though. I don't believe I've ever used the clutch on any of my drills.

No, I don't think a cordless drill is the right tool for that job, either. ;-)
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Understood but typically after a bit catches and stops it requires even more torque to complete the hole. Then you are back to not using the clutch for drilling the remainder if the hole.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of what else you might do with a cordless drill that would need more torque. It didn't occur to me he'd be using it as a motor for some other device.
FWIW, I leave my cordless drills in the locked position always. If I need to put a screw in with care, I do it by hand.
John