Cordless drill choice

Page 1 of 2

My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.
The work is woodworking, metal working sometimes, concrete drilling sometimes, gyprock, etc.
Money is not my first choice parameter. Battery length, torque, guarantee, weight are.
If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what would be your choice ?
Thanks for helping !
Junkyard Engineer wrote:

Although battery technology has improved over the years, I believe you'll still find that battery life and power still come with increased weight and size of the battery. I don't believe you're going to be able to easily reconcile the two. Have you considered having the batteries on your 12V Dewalt rebuilt?
changed the batteries once, lost the second range of speed years ago and the hammer do not work anymore...

And as a final consideration, I guess there's that "new toy" feeling we all like to get when upgrading something. :)
Years ago I purchased a 9.6v Panasonic on the recommendation of a cabinet shop that had five different makes of cordless drills. Loved it, but when the batteries died after about 10 to 12 years it was replaced by a 12v DeWalt, which I still have. Never have liked the DeWalt so purchased a Panasonic 12v a couple of years ago and love it. Pick one up and feel the balance compared to the other makes. I think the batteries are superior to other makes also.
Just my two cents.
Ted

I've used Ryobi, Porter Cable, DeWalt. Bought a Panasonic and I'm very happy with it. Good balance and weight to power ratio.
When I did the searching (about a year ago), the Panasonic 15.6 volt gave the best power-to-weight and battery runtime of anything. I love this thing. Not too heavy, but a beast when it has to be. Recharge time is very quick also.

I like the yellow color. Dewalt DW987KA
Bob

Geez, I was totally unaware that DeWalt make cordless 12 volt drills 17 years ago.

Well, my Milwaukee 12V cordless was bought almost 13 years ago, so maybe he's a little out of line, but not that much.
My wife always says that in a men, the sure thing that will change, is memory :)
But if I remember well, i did renovation of my 2 duplexes at the beginning of the 90's with it.
It has served me well over the years but lost the second speed range quite soon and the hammer soon after. So, DeWalt has been good but not the best

Upscale wrote:

My Makita 7.2 volt (removable stick battery) 3/8" drill started spitting out woodchips in early 1989 and I know I wasn't the first kid on the block to have one.

I recall Makita 7.2 volt drills being sold by the SnapOn man at the car dealer ship I worked at in the late 70's and 80's but it was not until IIRC the early 90's that I recall seeing any 12 models of anything being offered.
Junkyard Engineer wrote:

(always tends to win best choice awards), the new 28v Milwaukee, or the Rigid (with it's lifetime warranty they are now offering).
If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic

I have got to beleive that that warantee does not cover batteries. Until the battery technology settles down and/or gets a whole lot better, onlt count on a cordless drill for a decade (for a good one).
I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.
STeve

Just my two cents. While the Panasonic is an excellent choice, I would not rule out a Festool (now that they are in the US). Afford one and you will be finding excuses just to use it. I polish mine from time to time. :)
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

I talked to Ridgid about the batteries and the Lifetime warranty. It truly does cover EVERYTHING including the batteries.

Batterie included ! Hummm... I have to check that one out :)

When did this lifetime warranty come into effect?
I'll have to recheck the literature that came with my cordless combo kit, I may have just assumed the batteries were considered one of consumable items not covered.