Cordless drill choice

My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.

The work is woodworking, metal working sometimes, concrete drilling sometimes, gyprock, etc.

Money is not my first choice parameter. Battery length, torque, guarantee, weight are.

If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what would be your choice ?

Thanks for helping !

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Panasonic.

Reply to
jo4hn

Although battery technology has improved over the years, I believe you'll still find that battery life and power still come with increased weight and size of the battery. I don't believe you're going to be able to easily reconcile the two. Have you considered having the batteries on your 12V Dewalt rebuilt?

Reply to
Upscale

Years ago I purchased a 9.6v Panasonic on the recommendation of a cabinet shop that had five different makes of cordless drills. Loved it, but when the batteries died after about 10 to 12 years it was replaced by a 12v DeWalt, which I still have. Never have liked the DeWalt so purchased a Panasonic 12v a couple of years ago and love it. Pick one up and feel the balance compared to the other makes. I think the batteries are superior to other makes also.

Just my two cents.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Evans

changed the batteries once, lost the second range of speed years ago and the hammer do not work anymore...

"Upscale" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

I've used Ryobi, Porter Cable, DeWalt. Bought a Panasonic and I'm very happy with it. Good balance and weight to power ratio.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And as a final consideration, I guess there's that "new toy" feeling we all like to get when upgrading something. :)

Reply to
Upscale

When I did the searching (about a year ago), the Panasonic 15.6 volt gave the best power-to-weight and battery runtime of anything. I love this thing. Not too heavy, but a beast when it has to be. Recharge time is very quick also.

Reply to
gary

I like the yellow color. Dewalt DW987KA

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Geez, I was totally unaware that DeWalt make cordless 12 volt drills 17 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

Well, my Milwaukee 12V cordless was bought almost 13 years ago, so maybe he's a little out of line, but not that much.

Reply to
Upscale

My wife always says that in a men, the sure thing that will change, is memory :)

But if I remember well, i did renovation of my 2 duplexes at the beginning of the 90's with it.

It has served me well over the years but lost the second speed range quite soon and the hammer soon after. So, DeWalt has been good but not the best

"Upscale" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic (always tends to win best choice awards), the new 28v Milwaukee, or the Rigid (with it's lifetime warranty they are now offering).

Reply to
Randal

My Makita 7.2 volt (removable stick battery) 3/8" drill started spitting out woodchips in early 1989 and I know I wasn't the first kid on the block to have one.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic

I have got to beleive that that warantee does not cover batteries. Until the battery technology settles down and/or gets a whole lot better, onlt count on a cordless drill for a decade (for a good one).

I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.

STeve

Reply to
C & S

Just my two cents. While the Panasonic is an excellent choice, I would not rule out a Festool (now that they are in the US). Afford one and you will be finding excuses just to use it. I polish mine from time to time. :)

Reply to
Chris

I recall Makita 7.2 volt drills being sold by the SnapOn man at the car dealer ship I worked at in the late 70's and 80's but it was not until IIRC the early 90's that I recall seeing any 12 models of anything being offered.

Reply to
Leon

I talked to Ridgid about the batteries and the Lifetime warranty. It truly does cover EVERYTHING including the batteries.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" a écrit dans le message de news:

81%Se.571$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

Batterie included ! Hummm... I have to check that one out :)

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

cordless drill for yourself, what

A Festool would be superb, but, IME, there is nothing finer than a Fein.

Reply to
Limey Lurker