cordless drill

Woops! I see your point now. DOH!

Reply to
Leon

Why not just spend the 10 bucks for a Forstner bit and be done with it? For one set of dog holes you don't need carbide.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My second (and last) cordless is somewhere in a landfill.

Reply to
Phisherman

Chuck upa forstner in a hand held drill?

I'll pass.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep, if you're just boring straight holes and keep the RPM down it works fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I am curious as to what you do with your drills that an 18v cordless won't handle.

Reply to
J. Clarke

What insures straight?

Reply to
Leon

Never spend money on batteries again and again and again? I am however a big cordless drill user, less restrictive.

Reply to
Leon

The batteries are the _only_ downside I've found, but at this point I'm lousy with batteries and the next time one dies I'll probably cobble up a tab welder.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A modicum of coordination.

Start the hole with the router just like planned, then finish with the Forstner. The hard part with using a Forstner hand-held is starting the hole in the desired spot. After that they guide themselves.

Yeah, if you're using a 3-inch in a Hole-Hawg and get it crossed up enough to bind you can have problems, but a 3/4 in a cordless drill the worst you're going to do is fry the bit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Start the bit so it contacts the stock flush. Once the hole is started the design of the bit prevents it from being angled.

Reply to
Nova

"d.williams" wrote in news:MbNDm.184$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.iad:

I think that's [Makita] the one I got. I found the three tool set with flashlight for less than the two tool set and the flashlight's pretty awesome too. It's about like carrying a small car headlight.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Worked for me. I use them in a hand drill often. No one ever told me not to and based on experience so far, I'm going to continue.

Spade bit wee also mentioned. Any I've ever had wee crap. Maybe there are some good ones, but I stopped looking many years ago.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Spade bits are IMO mainly for rough work--need a hole in a stud to run a wire or pipe through they're the appropriate tool.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The better spade bits have spurs like a brad-point drill. If the bit is sharp it can produce a reasonably clean hole. Not as clean as a forstner or sawtooth bit, of course.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I agree with that. I bought a set of Speedbor drill bits this past summer from Lee Valley. In cedar, where one might expect an excessive amount of splintering, they cut very clean holes.

upscale