Cordless drill

Hi

I was looking to buy a cordless drill preferrably 18V. In doing so I came across a company Solomon's wholesale tools.

They offer stuff for UNBELEVABLY low prices like 22.99. They don't specify the brand. I feel very skeptical about this.

It looks too good to be true.

Has anybody dealt with them ?

Yuri.

Reply to
Yuri Shtil

I have a corded Milwaukee drill and it is built like a tank. I suspect it will last a lifetime, (but I doubt that of a cordless.)

Reply to
Phisherman

Yuri Shtil asks:

You answered your own question.

Charlie Self

Facts are stupid things. Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've seen some for sale on Ebay, probably similar to what your talking about. Routers, cordless drills, biscuit joiners .... I have no first hand experience with any of them but I really do believe with tools you get what you pay for. A couple of weeks ago

had an 18v cordless saw/drill combo for $229 (recoditioned) that I was considering but after checking out the heft of the drill I decided I'll stick with my Dewalt

14.4 for awhile longer. Has anyone had any experience with Tool King ?

Reply to
Lenny

Greetings,

You get what you pay for. If you need a $23 drill, this will work fine. It probably will not drive thousands of screws. If you need it for only a few hundred, it would make a good buy. If it might get stolen from a job site as soon as you turn your back, (i.e. you do not expect to keep it very long) it would make a good buy.

If you expect to need a drill to drive thousands of screws and keep it for decades, then buying this kind of drill will cost you a lot more than buying a $200 drill.

S> Hi

Reply to
Bill Thomas

I go to their store all the time. They are closer to me than the Borg. good outfit with alot of tools. I bought my compressor there. I even saw them with a 12 or 16 inch circ saw last spring - HUGE saw. They are a trustworthy lot in my book. As far as their internet sales go I don't know because they are too close for me to bother with online. They are based in Denver by the way.

TroyD

Reply to
TroyD

Agreed, but I'd lean towards Porter Cable. Of course, I wouldn't kick a Milwaukee out of my shop :)

Those el-cheapo cordless drills are doorstops though. I've used a number of them on a Habitat for Humanity build. Uncomfortable, low battery life, power is about the same as a good brand with two steps lower voltage (i.e. an 18V performs about as well as a Porter Cable

12V, which is a lot lighter).

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Yep - I'm local to them so I go to their stores. Nothing but good experiences and I've bought both refurb and new.

Reply to
tnfkajs

Reply to
Lenny

Hi Yuri;

You should feel skeptical.

The first thing I'd like to understand is why you think you need an 18 volt system. The 14 and 12 volt systems offer plenty of performance for a homeowner.

Also considering a cordless drill is now almost a basic component of anyowne tool set I do not htink it pays to skimp here. You would be better off getting a name brand such as a Milwaukee, Panasonic, or Makita. Save the no name stuff for items you are not likely to use heavly.

That by the way does not meant that the no name stuff is bad or useless. There could very well be winners out there, but if they aren't identified by brand name we as a group won't be able to identify them.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
David A. Frantz

From experience, I would check for replacement batteries and cost of replacements also consider replacement charger. My charger died and the replacement was the price of a new cordless drill. The problem that I found with the cheaper models is the charger is less sophisticated and can overcharge your batteries when left in for to long. So the next cordless will be from a brand that I trust.

I have started buying Bosch and I'm impressed by the quality, performance and details. I guess you get what you pay for. There are several other good brands like mentioned in previous postings. However I have my reservations when it comes to the yellow one... But has mentioned before tools and brand is a very personal choice.

Daniel Martin

Reply to
D.Martin