Cordless Angle Drills

All right - things are getting out of control now. Today I actually had to remove some wood screws BY HAND - thus putting my self at risk of blisters, carpal tunnel and god knows what other debilitating maladies. The problem was that the baking sheet cupboard is so stinkin' narrow I couldn't get my 18-volt, torque spewing monster of a drill in there to unleash the fury. As such I'm in the market for a new drill......
I've been googling, and it appears that Dewalt, Makita and Hitachi all make cordless right angle drills (I'm not even considering a corded unit). I know that Dewalt is just repackaged Black & Decker and Hitachi is the cheap green crap - but I've heard that some folks have used Makita for literally_months_before they break.
Which direction do you think I should go, cordless angle drillwise?
JP **************************** Just Phishin' a little.....TIA
Add pictures here
✖
DeWalt is not rebadged B&D. Buy one of each and use them - it's obvious. I have the DeWalt right angle 12V drill, and other than being heavy, it has held up well - for two years now.
Bob

Add pictures here
✖
I had a tough time justifying the $199.- plus tax that Lowes wanted for the DeWalt unit. Since this is a "special use" tool for me and not in use all that much, I drove across the street to Sears and picked up theirs for $79.- including two batteries, a charger, and a nice case.

Add pictures here
✖
For a limited use a 3/8'' ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT WITH JACOBS® CHUCK this might do the trick. And it's only $12.49.
Never used one, but always curious about how well they work. If you go that route will you please report back.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberC623
If you hate HF, you can google on "ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT" - there's scads of them - but probably much like HF's.
Add pictures here
✖
If you already have a cordless drill, I would suggest your right angle drill be corded. I have had a right angle cordless drill for close to 20 years. A Makita BTY. Anyway I only use the drill when the need dictates. It is not particularly the drill you would want to pick up for typical every day use. The reason to get the corded over the cordless is that you will not have to worry about charging batteries on a drill that you may not use very much and you will not ever have to worry about replacing batteries 20 years from now. I have to recharge my battery every time I pull the drill out. Basically I do not think that the battery option on this style drill is warranted unless you actually plan to use this drill often and not near a wall outlet.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:43:02 GMT, "Leon"

Custom cabinetry is the meat and potatoes of the operation, so this drill will probably be used daily. I'm leaning towards a 9.6 volt because of the weight and because it's primary use will be vix bit pilot holes and half inch screws. I gotta figure a 9.6 has more than enough oomph. Maybe I'll see if I can a good deal for right around full retail on eBay! : )
Thanks for the replies all. I'll let you know what I go with and how it works.
JP

Add pictures here
✖
Well if you are using it daily, that might be a case for cordless. Still, you cannot beat the power of a corded model. And, Souix and IIRC Milwaukee make the models that will be more comfortable to use and that will last. They are corded however. Otherwise, 9.6 should be fine. So far I have only used 9.6. But,,,;~) consider that 9.6 is starting to become harder to find. 12 volt might be easier to find replacement batteries for down the road...

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:35:32 GMT, "Leon"

Will do. Thanks. JP

Add pictures here
✖