Corded drill ratings

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message news:fGmel.

I think the Milwaukee and the Makita are probably dry wall screw guns, at leas that's the way the Makita looks and those do usually run very fast. The B&D and the Ryobi do run pretty slow for corded drills. My Makita cordless will run up to 1300 and IMHO for drilling 3/8" and smaller holes that is too slow for me.

FIY I looked at all you mentioned. Only the B&D and Ryobi are actually drills. The Milwaukee and Makita are screw drivers. They do not have a chuck for a round drill bit. I'll keep looking though.
Leon wrote:

Just like my drill press. <G>

The drill press is awkward on a ladder though. I'm thinking a shoulder mount would help.

I think my drill press would still be to heavy for a shoulder mount. ;~) After 30 years, I finally put it on a mobile base.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why I have cordless drills. <G>
Think of what the tool is to do.
I bought a corded hammer drill. It is intended to do a lot of hammering and drilling under a lot of back pressure. Cord is best. Even if a generator is needed.
Now the hand drill that runs around the house and backyard and shop and truck.... that is handy in battery.
When doing a roof - air or cord. Nice to have cordless but volume demands cord.
I think the gas controlled nailers and such are neat. I have air nailers and a gas tank on a short hose for back yard fence or the front drive fence.
To me, it means how many batteries I'll need to do a job. If there are a number and that takes time swapping and charging -
Martin
Phisherman wrote:

Consider going to HD and buying a cheap 100' air hose for $10 if you do many out doors projects. It'll cut down on a lot of back and forth to the refill the tank.
I have 4 100' hoses. They are not long enough to reach from the shop to the the house, or fence. They can reach the other barn but that is a lot of hose to haul around - long length means high impedance or restriction to air flow. I had to have a local tank for storage. Lots of trouble.
I got the gas and mini hose at Home Depot and it works anywhere I walk. Yes there is a hose on the gun, but a short one.
Martin
Leon wrote:

Ohhhh!
They are not long enough to reach from the shop to the

I truely wish I could say that. ;~)
They can reach the other barn but that is a lot

I can see that.

In that case, I'll swap you my old Black and Decker corded drill for a Bosch, Milwaukee, or Panasonic cordless. You'll come out way ahead on the deal. I'll pay postage for both.

My Dad's B&D from the early 1960's is still going strong, and I'm not about to part with it. On occasion I still use it today, but the chuck is a 3/8", double metal insulated, heavy, small, powerful, no plastic parts. The one cordless I bought in 1995 went to the trash a long time ago.