copyrights

Is it possible to get copyrights for one's furniture pieces, individually or as a group? If so how do I go about that? Has anyone done it?

Reply to
cjbi

You can copyright plans, but not the furniture itself. If you have a substantially unique manufacturing process or design, you can patent it.

copyright.gov

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

Intellectual property (IP) again? :-)

If you create a "unique piece" -- you automatically own the copyright=20 and the "moral rights" -- moral rights are more for prevention of=20 misuse.. This issue has been beat to death here.

I strongly suggest that you _not_ try to copyright the idea of a chest=20 of drawers -- for example. :-) You might run into a tad of opposition -- =

same for wooden wheels.

Google for Copyright and posts by myself and Robert Bonomi on the issue. =

Those posts should prove enlightening -- or perhaps just more confusing. =

:-) I did include a link to the copyright laws in some of my posts. Read =

them -- they are quite clear if you take the time to read them and=20 understand the glossaries...

USA and Canada are signatories to the International Copyright=20 Treaty(ies) -- as are many other countries.

A patent is about the piece and the process to build it -- i.e. the=20 plans... Copyright need only be about the work, the identification of=20 the work, and the ownership of the work and the idea. You can register a =

copyright to prevent against theft by manufacturers -- for example.=20 However some countries -- notable Taiwan -- require that Intellectual=20 property be registered there first for their recognition of IP rights.

When you sell a piece you should waive copyright -- you need not waive=20 moral rights. However, you can likely write any agreement for sale that=20 pleases you.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

YES! It's called a "deisgn patent". It is done frequently for furniture.

This is an excerpt from Ashley Furnitures web page:

Many of the furniture products displayed throughout the pages of this web site are protected by various design patents issued by the United States. These design patents, which are owned by Ashley, cover one or more of the ornamental or aesthetic features forming the overall furniture product. Design patents may also be pending in the United States and other countries worldwide which will serve to protect the designs of these furniture products when they issue from the respective country. These furniture designs are exclusive property of Ashley and may not be copied, modified, or imitated without the prior written permissions of Ashley. We are certain that you understand that Ashley must protect its intellectual property, including its patents, trademarks, and copyrights. Therefore, no license to Ashley's intellectual property has been granted by this internet site.

Reply to
stoutman

More links:

stoutman