Coping Sled in Wood Mag

I saw a coping sled plan that was part of a Wood Mag article Mar 2011 article "How to Build Cabinets the Quick-an-Easy Way". Not a very good article in my opinion, at least not good cabinet design but there was a really nice looking coping sled design where you make a set of channels for the sled to ride in.

One concern is it adds 3/4" height to the table so the bit needs to be chucked up a little higher or you really need to top out the lift.

Has anyone built this or something like it? Does it work well?

I think I'll make one modification. They have a clamp holding down on the stock and I think I'll make a clamping mechanisim that pushes the stack back into the backer. I have had end copes twist out and it could be really ugly at worst and just crap the part at best. My current sled has a wideblock that I slide into the stock and lock down.

My current sled requires me to keep it pushed to the fence. This design seems much better.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

pushing to the fence is good. you can pull it away if something goes wrong. Not if it is in the channel.

My sled is using 1/4 tempered hardboard. I have destaco clamps, a handle at a skew, a nob in the front.

I can gang boards, or single them. My 1/4 doesn't require too much increase in height, but provides enough support to clamp down.

free your sled...

Reply to
tiredofspam