Cope or Not Cope Crown Molding

Page 2 of 2

Well.... that got big spew of coffee!!
Nice one.
Robert
RicodJour wrote:

Is that like when looking for something, going to the last place you are going to look first and save the trouble of all the places in between?

I am not a pro, but I've hung plenty of crown. I always find it easier to lay the crown flat on the miter saw, and then make a compound cut with the saw. It seems like there is always a chance of a small movement when the molding isn't flat.

yet. We used and still use the power miter box. It's all a matter of what you are accustomed too.

Perhaps it was something along the lines of these? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pS807&cat=1,240,45313
$40 is pretty expensive for what essentially amounts to 10 cents worth of moulded plastic. I guess if someone's crown moulding skills are challenged enough, they might spend the money, but damned if I would.
wrote in message

About 30 years ago, I wasted $40 worth of crown moulding learning how to cut a coped joint. Since that time, it's been no problem. FWIW, I still have the Rockwell Power Miterbox I learned on. My compound miter saw was a radial arm saw. I still have it too. I seldom use either.
If I was contracting, I would have the CMS, but I don't have a use for one.
wrote in message

Expensive yes but not prohibitively so. I think the $40 would be recouped quickly in time savings.

Possibly, but who would buy one except a homeowner? And then, time isn't as important a factor. The contractors I know would die from embarrassment if they were caught with one, at least they'd never admit using one.
I guess if you're spatially challenged with crown moulding, then it would save money compared to what might be lost in wasted wood, but fortunately, that's not a problem I've ever had. There's no way in hell I'd ever be installing crown moulding anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

This is what a number of contractors I know use. Good, clear write up.
http://www.garymkatz.com/ToolReviews/collins_coping_foot.html
Leon wrote:

I'd love to hear from anyone in here who has actually used this devise.
My first impression is, but the time I've perfectly lined up this devise and clamped it to the molding, I'm 3/4 of the way through my back cut with the coping saw.
But if it's really as awesome as they say, I'd like to hear about it.
--

-MIKE-

If you do a LOT of crown, this is a cool device:
http://www.copemaster.com/copemaster_main.html although it is a little pricey.
but I have seen this demo on this tool and it looks pretty cool also..
http://www.easycoper.com /
and it is a LOT cheaper....and more portable.