Cooling down an uninsulated shop.

Page 4 of 4

Hax Planx wrote:

Here's a couple of things that I have done to cool my shed. It's 40' x 20' approx. tin with a concrete floor. The temperature here in Kalgoorlie is usually above 30c in summer and it is not uncommon to have more than a few 45c days. Currently it's between 0 and 20c= bloody cold :) 1.    Installed a whirlybird fan in the roof. 2.    Hung shade cloth over the metal roller door. 3.    Purchased 16mm chipboard cover sheets, about $10.00 each when             they are available and lined the inside walls with pink bats             between. I just started with the North wall and as material and         money, became available continued on. 4.    Started insulating the roof. Once again using 3-6mm cover sheets with bats. Also had some 2" styrene which worked wonders. As the     roof is not completed you can certainly tell the difference when     standing under a lined section to a corrugated iron section. 5.    Placed an evaporative air conditioner in the wall, a freebie. It does it's job as we have a very dry heat. 6.    Made awnings for the windows. As each of the above jobs took place a noticeable difference was made. A method I have seen done and am assured is rather effective is to cover the roof with shade cloth, with 6" spacers to hold it of the steel. Painting the roof white should not be rejected either. this can produce anything up to a 8c difference in temperature. Hope this will help some. As with all things money and time usually rule the day ;)
regards John
mine is an unsulated all steel building... and I live in Arizona. temps here have been above 100 for a couple of weeks straight. I have a cooler on a cart that I aim in the door when I'm in there and a powered ventilator on a thermostat sucking the hot air out the roof. together they keep the temp to a survivable inferno...