Cool (old) tool

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boring-Machine-Barn-Beam-Post-Hand-Drill-Auger-Wood-a_W0QQitemZ190356592648QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c52231808

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boring-Machine-Barn-Beam-Post-Hand-Drill-Auger-Wood-a_W0QQitemZ190356592648QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c52231808 Cool! This looks like the original upper body ergometer. Used by folks in wheelchairs.
Like this.
http://www.hogganhealth.com/cardio-products.php?product=ube
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:11:30 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

Perhaps, but those won't prep beams for timberframing. <g>
-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

I had one of those puppies years ago, and never really used it. They're a nice conversation piece, and I suppose if you're into the grunt thing or don't have/want electricity, they're a useful tool. That listing made it sound like they were just used for drilling the peg holes, but they were really more for roughing out mortises. The peg holes would often just be drilled with a T-handled auger as squareness and repeatability wasn't so critical.
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:55:06 -0800 (PST), the infamous

They're still great for post and beam construction.
I have several augers for those machines. What are they worth now? Anyone need any? 2", IIRC.
-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------