Cool extension cord. (Lee Valley)

Makes you wonder why it took so long for somebody to make one of these.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pQ162&cat=1,240,41065&ap=1
I also picked up a cyclone lid for a garbage can. It came with instructions how to ground the PVC/ABS ducting...I kid you not. They (Lee Valley) must know something......??
Every time I go to Lee Valley in London, I feel like a junky in an evidence room.
When the bill came out higher than expected, I mentioned that I had come to a lower figure when I was making up my shopping list on their website catalogue... the cashier's comment, without missing a beat was: "You may have accidentally been looking at the US pricing, sir..."
JUST the excuse I needed.......<G>

Er... They've been making 'em for years. They're called "outlets". :)
Naw these are cooler you can see where to drive the nails to cut the wire and give you a buzz, no hunting around and ruining the dry wall.

On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:01:26 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"

I missed the OP, but outlets are even better, since they don't occur at fixed lengths. All these are is the lazy man's electrician ...no need to install BX, outlets, wiring, safety inspection,......

Completely missing the point that these cords are portable. Building a deck? Convenient outlets all over the place. Installing a kitchen with more than one person? Not an entanglement of cords everywhere. Every man has a place to plug in his jigsaw, chopsaw, whatever.
Nobody in their right mind would confuse these with outlets in the normal sense of the word.
Very narrow minded responses so far.
Robatoy wrote:

Playing in the band...
Bands have used cables like this to power the "backline" stage amps since amps were invented. Before that, they were used to power music stand lights for the orchestra or pit band.
The cable would also be great for Christmas displays, party lights around the deck or boat, media tables at special events.
There's a decent amount of labor involved to make such a cable, a commercial version will probably sell well.
Barry
Yeah, one of the guys in our band "overengineered" three sets of these (we're a Big Band) and presented us with a materials bill for $90. Music stand lights do not draw much current, but if we every decide to put a welder on every stand, we're covered :)
Tom
Robatoy wrote:

There's no way you should be allowed in Lee Valley with a wallet. :-)
Had a look at the cord. It is neat actually.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

If used outdoors, the receptacle it is plugged into should be GFI. You should not run GFI in series either so it could be a PITA in some cases. At a new construction jobsite there may be no GFI though.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It's easy enough to make a GFI "pigtail" with one outlet and a grounded plug.
Barry

My SWMBO (rhymes with BMBO???????) okay, okay..I'll rephrase: My dear beloved wife has, somehow, rigged an electronic dog-training collar to my MasterCard. If I touch it when my heart-rate is above a certain level, it closes a circuit which gives me a jolt that will make me crap my drawers. But I have a work-around. JUST before I make an impulse purchase, I whip out a picture of Celine Dijon[sic] and that slows down my heart-rate.
Simple, really.

Dead nuns, dead nuns, dead nuns... oh, wait.. same thing
~Rob
I made a 'custom' one of these for my Christmas lights. Outlet positioned at every bush I wanted to light up.

This is totally off topic. It should not be posted any place my wife can see it and get ideas. I'm happy with dark bushes.
Robatoy wrote:

I recon they're a great idea. Have often wondered about making a set simular after seeing the way the coloured party lights are screwed onto a lead.I wont have to wonder anymore :) seeing that I can just buy 'em. Oh well another million dollar idea down the chute. regards John