Cool bit for Phillips screws

Page 6 of 6
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 5:56:21 AM UTC-7, jloomis wrote:

Yeah, the driver-not-straight was a jarring note. If one uses a mixture of bits (Philips #1, Philips #2, Pozidrive, JIS, Reed and Prince, ...) for crosspoint screws, it's inevitable that the heads will get damaged (and the tips as well) because mismatch of shapes makes for excessive stress and deforms the metal.
If one always uses the correct screwdriver tip, there's less damage, until someone wags the screwdriver axis around. With the correct tip, and good seating and alignment, (i.e. operator skill), heads don't get damaged and tips last a long time.
Torx, Robertson, Bristol spline, and Allen socket screws are better because they keep the bit on-axis; Bristol spline has the lowest stress on its driving surfaces (because of the shape - driving faces are nearly parallel to radius), with Torx close behind. Torx is apparently easily mass-produced.
This tip design probably has some kind of 'tooth' (structure or texture) that keeps the tip seated, and purports to substitute for operator skill and allow reuse of damaged fasteners. I'm not interested in that - it's probably better to use standard tip designs, hone skills, and discard damaged fasteners. As for removing recalcitrant fasteners... it's just another sometimes-it-might-work gimmick. *yawn*
On 8/11/2015 12:01 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

That is pretty cool, and looks to be a better design, one you would use all of the time, than the style with the 3 bit set for removing damaged screws.

Somehow that whole presentation strongly reminds me of the ads on a low-budget cable station: "our product does everything for the home handyman! It caulks and seals windows! It penetrates and loosens stuck bolts! It's a pet shampoo! Buy now and we'll throw in a second can free!"
Given that a properly fitting phillips driver can pass enough torque to snap a typical screw, I'm not really seeing where this thing has any real advantages. Especially when the typical screw head is some bastard hybrid of two or more of the dozen "standard" phillips-like designs.
John
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 22:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

just another gimmick
On 8/11/2015 2:57 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Yeah, just like those SawStop guys.

Yeah, those Phillips bits are so *sharp*! ;-)