Cool bit for Phillips screws

Don't know if I buy that. The Robertson screw was patented in 1911 and the Phillips in 1936. The Robertson patents would have expired in '29.

bolts because Phillips' intentional cam-out is a problem) and I don't remember ever seeing a square-recessed head on any of my cars.
On 8/12/2015 12:17 PM, krw wrote:

Saw it on the History channel, documentary on either Ford or the Robertson screw. Probably the later. That was Henry Ford that wanted the rights for the screw in the very early years.

referring to was the availability to the consumer. For most other household products a Phillips screw is the norm.

Bon jour!

Household, sure, they're cheaper. I'm surprised that Phillips displaced slotted.

Why? Those slotted screws are a pain. It may be a case of right place, right time, but I'm not surprised Phillips displaced slotted. Using them is MUCH easier. Also, Phillips has the unfortunate ability of being compatible with some slotted screwdrivers, so you wouldn't necessarily have to buy a new screwdriver to use the new screws.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 13 Aug 2015 06:28:57 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Because people are stubborn. Note that many Phillips screws have slots, as well.

On 8/13/2015 7:56 PM, krw wrote:

I think the biggest reason for only having slotted and Phillips drivers is simply because 98% of most people don't dwell on their screws and drivers. Basically they have them to fit stuff around the house. They do not build, or repair manufactured products. If they worked with screws as often as we do they would probably switch in a heart beat.
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 2:52:39 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

The disadvantage of Torx is that not everyone has a Torx bit.
I do a lot of volunteer stuff that often involves construction. For example , setting up tracks for Soap Box Derby races. We have to construct starting ramps and safety rails. We have to secure 10 x 20 canopies to the blacktop , etc. For years I have wanted to switch to Torx or Star or Robertson, anyt hing but Phillips. Unfortunately, I can't do that.
Every racing family has a screw gun and Phillips head bits because that is what is used for the Derby car shells. However, not many of them have Torx or Star or Robertson bits, so we are basically forced to use Phillips heads for everything if we want everyone to help with the set-up and tear-down.
I can't tell you how many times I've had to get out the vice grips to remov e a stripped Phillips screw from something because some rookie chunk-chunk- chunked it in with a bit-up Phillips bit. Gawd, how I hate that sound.
Maybe I should pledge $14 for a Knife Edge bit and then submit an expense r eport to the Derby.
On 8/12/2015 8:48 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some times the use of an impact drive can successfully and easily remove a damaged Philips screw. I recall remodeling a neighbors kitchen. The previous owner used some kind of putty to fill the screw heads, I have no idea what he was thinking.
Using my drill and Phillips bit I was getting absolutely know where on removing the 12+ exposed bottom attachment screws on the upper cabinets.
Using the same bit but changing to my impact driver instantly solved the problem. What little grip the bit made with the filled Phillips heads was suddenly enough.
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 06:48:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Why? The bits aren't much more (if any) more expensive than Phillips.

Perhaps you should buy them Torx bits, instead. ;-)
On 8/12/2015 12:19 PM, krw wrote:

Because 90% of people that buy a screw driver only buy a straight or Phillips. Only now are some of them familiar with square drive let alone torx. And 99% still get by with simply a straight or Phillips screw driver.

of Torx than Robertson/square).

On 8/12/2015 7:50 PM, krw wrote:

Well from the standpoint of HD, Torx heads on deck screws is the most common way to buy that head "now" so people should be more familiar, but not too long ago the same coated deck screws had the combo Phillips/Square drive head.

Does anyone make Phillips/Square combo drivers? I'm tired of Phillips slipping and square almost working.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 13 Aug 2015 16:47:32 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Mcfeely's makes combination screws, with square drive and phillips as options for driving the screw. That might be a place to look for a bit.
Mark
On 8/13/2015 11:47 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Yes, the deck screw company. It looked like an over sized Phillips head, blunt on the tip.
And now Bosch makes this.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/2-x-2-in-combo-driver-bit-qty-1-9xgu1.html

Interesting. Anyone used them yet, or do I have to be the guinea pig?
I've got a couple boxes of those Kreg combo head shiny screws, so plenty of junk heads to test the bit on.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 2:44:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

If they came up with combination bit for this driver, I'd really be interested. I'm tired of constantly swapping the bits.
http://www.geekalerts.com/u/chewdriver-fork-knife-spoon.jpg
On 8/14/2015 9:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Knife, fork, woman's screwdriver. Neat.

I see a lot more Torx screws in my car than square head. That's where I first encountered them (and needed to buy screwdrivers).
On 8/13/2015 7:58 PM, krw wrote:

Yeah I don't think any vehicles ever had square head screws. I only recall going from the various Phillips style screws directly to the Torx.