Converting from metric to inches in a plan

Page 2 of 2

Just wait until the US converts to metric money...
--
FF

In article <c82ba9a0-f75a-440f-b125-78f625bd8756@

Is that when we need a metric ton of it to buy a loaf of bread? ;-)
--
Keith

In article <e8dcd6e2-8549-4763-bea4-ccd4327d8988

What Barry said: get a metric tape and ruler. Being conversant with both systems, I have no problems converting from imperial to metric, but I'd absolutely hate trying to do it the other way round.
regds, -Peter
Peter Huebner wrote:

Most folks already have them, on the same stuff they already use.
In article <e8dcd6e2-8549-4763-bea4-ccd4327d8988

2.75 is exactly the same as 2 3/4, so that decision should be easy.
On Jul 5, 2:54pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This conversation has been quite interesting. However, one answer remains. Is there a "nominal" metric measurement like our 2x4 which isn't 2" by 4"?
So when I look at a plan, can I trust that the measurement which reads 70 mm is actually 70 mm, not 68mm?
Thanks
MJM
You are not the first to have run into this problem. Just seeing a few examples or understanding the basic concepts may go a long way in helping you to figure this out.
Using GD&T is helpful to show something which may have infinite variations, pertaining to whether it may or may not be important to be shown on paper to position or scale, and how to understand the relationship between starting points or references, features, characteristics(s) being implied etc.. The real definition is better than mine. This is ways to illustrate or present the info, not the info's standard format itself.
Google ASME Y14.5M-1994 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
like http://www.etinews.com/gdt_glossary.html
-