Converting from metric to inches in a plan

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Reply to
Just Wondering

s Provider ----

corporate packages that have ac= cess to 100,000+ newsgroups

Stuff that comes in 23rds is a bear to work with. =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E I know. my bad... just a typo..

Reply to
Robatoy

Spruce ply and other sheeting types plywood's and other rough construction sticks (2x4s etc) are imperial thicknesses, Fir ply and hardwood veneer ply is in metric thicknesses.

Only 3 countries left in the world still on the imperial system, Libya, Burma, USA. Come on! Get with the program. Why convert? Buy a metric tape and a couple of steel rules.

Stuff that comes in 23rds is a bear to work with. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I know. my bad... just a typo..

Reply to
stu

This conversation has been quite interesting. However, one answer remains. Is there a "nominal" metric measurement like our 2x4 which isn't 2" by 4"?

So when I look at a plan, can I trust that the measurement which reads 70 mm is actually 70 mm, not 68mm?

Thanks

MJM

Reply to
SCWAForum

You are not the first to have run into this problem. Just seeing a few examples or understanding the basic concepts may go a long way in helping you to figure this out.

Using GD&T is helpful to show something which may have infinite variations, pertaining to whether it may or may not be important to be shown on paper to position or scale, and how to understand the relationship between starting points or references, features, characteristics(s) being implied etc.. The real definition is better than mine. This is ways to illustrate or present the info, not the info's standard format itself.

Google ASME Y14.5M-1994 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)

like

bent

Just wait until the US converts to metric money...

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Is that when we need a metric ton of it to buy a loaf of bread? ;-)

Reply to
krw