Convert model w/snake, to non-snake?

Hello

I have a (Dremel-manufactured) Craftsman variable rotary tool, model #572-251471. It has the snake already attached and it is somewhat annoying. I would like to install the collar & collet to make it a non-snake model and cannot seem to find the non-snake equivalent to order the parts. I can't believe that they produced the body & motor on mine to only use it on a snake-model.

I have gone through countless diagrams on Sears Parts website and have no way of knowing from the crude diagrams if any of the non-whip pieces are the correct size for mine.

Does anyone know which collar and collet I may be able to use on mine to convert to non-snake use? This is a Made in USA model and I REALLY do not want to be forced to replace it with some piece of crap from China.

Thank you Karl West Des Moines, IA

Reply to
karlt10

| I have a (Dremel-manufactured) Craftsman variable rotary tool, model | #572-251471. It has the snake already attached and it is somewhat | annoying. I would like to install the collar & collet to make it a | non-snake model and cannot seem to find the non-snake equivalent to | order the parts. I can't believe that they produced the body & | motor on mine to only use it on a snake-model.

I'd suggest taking it to the WoodSmith store on Hickman to see if they can help. I think the BORG behind the Hy-Vee (off University) has Dremel accessories; and might have your collet and chuck.

Morris Dovey

If it's so old that the standard collar and collet that you'll find ad Home Depot don't work then it's probably pretty crappy anyway.

Incidentally, Dremel is owned by Bosch and their tools are not made in China.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Absolutely! My two older ones were made in Racine, Wisconsin. My newest one was made in Mexico.

Gerald Ross Cochran, GA

All my life I wanted to be someone. I guess I should have been more specific.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Do they have Menard's in Des Moines?

If so, they stock tons of Dremel accessories- it's a leap of faith, but if you know that the Craftsman was manufactured by Dremel, you may as well try out a Dremel one.

If not, and if the Craftsman flex shaft is anything like Dremel's at all, you should be able to pull the nut and collet off the end of the shaft and use it normally without the flex shaft attached. The only thing that changes with the Dremel is that there is a plastic "neck" that screws on the body, but it is not a functional part- I think it's just to keep the plastic threads from getting banged up.

Reply to
Prometheus