Conventional miter vs sliding

Any thoughts on a 12" conventional miter saw vs. a 10" sliding miter saw?

I know there is a decent price difference. Will I use the slider much more?

Just curious.

PS as far as project, I a new , but so far pretty diverse.

Reply to
bfremgen

There are many times when I wish I had the slider version of my Dewalt 12" CMS.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I've had both. Wouldn't trade my latest 12" slider (DW718) for any of the past 5 saws I've had. I can cross cut around 30" by cutting the panel and flipping it over to continue the cut. Capacity is the greatest advantage to a slider. If you cut wider stuff regularly, get one. If you don't need the capacity, get a conventional miter. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

As you well know, it depends entirely on what you will be using it for. If you will be cutting wood too thick for a 10", a 10" slider is useless. If you will be cutting wood too wide for a 12", a non-sliding 12" is useless. There is a market for both because people have different needs.

In normal woodworking you will come across wide wood more often then thick wood; so a 10" slider is probably more useful. Is it more useful enough to justify the price? That depends on your cash flow and your room.

Reply to
Toller

Cool, how about a 12" slider vs a 10" (I know 2" more, lol)

Dave Jacks> I've had both. Wouldn't trade my latest 12" slider (DW718) for any of the

Reply to
bfremgen

Are you a shopfitter / housebuild carpenter who spends all day crosscutting 2x4s? If not, then a non-sliding saw will be of little or no use to you. If you must have such a thing (and they aren't cheap), then go for a slider.

PS - I read this subject first and thought "How could you be puzzled over choosing between a mitre joint vs. a sliding dovetail?" I guess it's time to grow myself one of those Amish beards and get some check shirts....

Reply to
dingbat

The Bosch 10" single bevel slider is a good buy when you factor in that it comes with a pretty good blade, and how much a good 12" blade costs.

The main thing about sliders is be prepared for how much space they take up. I'm planning on putting mine on the wall with the stairs and bumping out the wall behind it. I'm sure I'll get around to that any day now.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I seriously looked at 10" sliders, but ultimately went with the 12" for the extra capacity. I'm a carpenter for a living, so there are times when the big saw comes in handy on the job, (finishing work only!) however, I bought this saw primarily for the shop to cross cut panels. The downside is sliders need more room, are more expensive, are not that portable. I doubt there is that much difference in the weight or space needed for a 10" vs 12" but the 12" will be somewhat more spendy --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I've just recently went through this decision process. I ended up with the Bosh 4410L 10" slider. I love it. The main reason I decided on a

10" slider is that it has a good cross cut capacity, around 12.5" - only slightly less than a 12" slider, but much less expensive. Also, the table saw uses 10" blades, so I have a few of them on hand if I need to send a blade out for sharpening.

BTW, the Bosch was "dead on" accurate out of the box. I spent a good bit of time making test cuts at various miter/bevel angles and didn't have to make any adjustments to the angle stops.

One last note - when I purchased the saw, about a month ago, I was able to get next day shipping for about $10 thru amazon.com. How they can ship an 80+lb box overnight for $10, I don't know, but I checked it three times and that's what came up.

Good luck

Mike

Reply to
Mike

[...]

You need to tell us what projects you are going to tackle with it. I bought the DEwalt 12" slider and Stand when it first came out and love it but also ended up buying a cheap 10" miter for it's portability. If your like me and you don't need the saw all the time setting it up and moving a large 12" or

10" slider can be a real pain. On that note a slider will doa lot of cuts that a miter saw can't. If you need to groove out a 1" deep and 1" wide path through a 2x4 or 2x6 etc. you just set the slider depth to only cut 1" and work it across your cut. It's nice and flush and fast. I also prefer to cut from front to back with my 12" slider and make multiple passes on finishing work instead of on big cut.
Reply to
HotRod

I think it depends on not only what you plan on cutting, but on what other tools you have or plan to buy..

IMO, my 10" non-slide works fine for what I use it for, which is mainly long stuff like 2x4's or trim that I don't want to use my RAS on..

(OK, that aren't worth clearing off the clutter and finding my RAS for)

If you don't have a table or radial arm, I'd say you'll get a lot of use out of the slider...

My concern is twist or whatever that causes inaccurate cuts, which used to be a big problem with sliders... From the other responses, I'd guess that it's an issue that has been corrected?

Mac

mac davis

I had a Delta 10" mitre saw.....plain - just did straight forward cuts. I have it away when I switched to a Makita 12" sliding compound saw and would NEVER, EVER, go back to any 10" - sliding or otherwise.

For one thing, even a standard 12" would allow cutting thicker wood than a

10". For example, cutting 4 X 4 posts I had to rotate the wood on the 10" to complete the cut.

Now - when are the 14 inchers coming out :O).

Keith P.

Reply to
Salmo