contact dermatitis from wood

I am just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis around my eye lids, it got to the point that my eyes almost swelled shut. At the time I was turning a lot of cherry, in addition there was also allot of construction dust around my office which was under going rehab. I not sure what actually cased my problem. I was wondering if any else has experienced anything similar from wood dust. Ian

Reply to
Ian Edwards

I had a bad reaction to ash. My face and eyes became very puffy.

Good site for wood related hazards:

Garage_Woodworks

It's quite common -- I would suspect almost any woodworker of extent has had at least some symptoms. I personally haven't had cherry cause a problem, but I'd "never say never"...

--

Reply to
dpb

I have been warned about Western Red Cedar dust being very nasty.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had a an immediate and massive reaction to imbuia dust once. A one-ich cut on the TS, and the dust caused my nostrils and throat to snap shut, made my cough and sennze convulsively. Needless to say that board has sat still ever since.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Reactions tend to vary from person to person. I've heard of ppl getting nasty reactions to red oak dust but I could eat that stuff with no ill effects. Black walnut, on the other hand, makes my skin crawl. Guess which wood I'd rather work with? What can I say, I like darker woods....

Cheers, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ian,

No, but I did start having a lot of coughing after turning.

I went to a Trend Air shield, and it sure helped that. Not sure if it would protect you enuf to avoid all the problems you had.

What a woodworker's nightmare.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

I got the eye swollen like an orange and nasal passages on fire from Lyptus. I now wear a full face mask/respirator with this stuff.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Old Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I figured a visit to the doctor once would probably run at least $300. That's about what my spray booth cost, so I figure I'm money ahead. For good safety equipment, you don't even have to cry once. You'll be money ahead.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thu, Jan 10, 2008, 6:43pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Ian=A0Edwards) doth sayeth: I am just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis around my eye lids, it got to the point that my eyes almost swelled shut. At the time I was turning a lot of cherry, in addition there was also allot of construction dust around my office which was under going rehab. I not sure what actually cased my problem. I was wondering if any else has experienced anything similar from wood dust.

I would think not the construction dust, but never can tell. The subject has been covered here many time. Google using 'wood toxicity', 'wood hazards', and similar.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I quite agree.

Reply to
J T