Contact cement over paint ...Yes ? No?

I was going to glue veneer..spelling? over my already painted kitchen cabinets.Is this OK,or should I strip the old paint first? Any comment would be appreciated. Chris
Sun, Jul 13, 2003, 10:37pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@mts.net (Lorna&Chris) says: I was going to glue veneer..spelling? over my already painted kitchen cabinets.Is this OK,or should I strip the old paint first? Any comment would be appreciated.
I would suspect the can label has a manufacturer's 1-800 number. If it was me I would ask them.
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
says...

surface if need be, and then begin the veneer process. Use veneer with PVA adhesive backing, and apply water-based contact cement to the cabinetry. This will give you an excellent bond.
Kim
Yowsa. No way would I try something like that. Definitely strip the old paint. It wouldn't surprise me if the solvents in the contact cement are strong enough to soften the old paint, and that would be a real disaster.
Lorna & Chris wrote:

Strip the paint. Otherwise you are gluing the veneer to the paint.     mahalo,         jo4hn
Lorna & Chris wrote:

Strip the paint. The strength of the contact cement depends on it's bond between the two objects being glued and it's self. In a normal situation this would be wood, glue, wood. By not stripping the paint you are making the strength of the glue dependant on the bond between the paint and the wood.
Your sandwich consists of wood, paint bonded to wood , glue bonded to paint, glue to glue, paint bonded to wood again, then wood.
The bond between wood and paint isn't going to be all that strong.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods