Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

Yeah, if the toe kick knocks over ajar...it wood knot be punny.

Clinton Never Exhaled
Buy the TEE!
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai

I used to store my table saw not plugged in and rolled it out to the driveway to do work. It is just as heavy as always, just as large, and still looks and feels like a saw. So, yes, plugged in or not it's still a table saw.
I cut my finger on a brand new saw blade while opening the package. Is that a table-saw related injury (it very well could have been for installation on the CMS)?
Puckdropper
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:24:04 -0600, Just Wondering

ABSOLUTELY NOT!
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai

Looks like Sawstop is still at it. Somebody needs to shoot that loon and his lawyers and burn the place to the ground.
If he wants to sell saws fine. If he wants to make it law that everybody buy his product, he needs to be taken down.
says...

mandatory provisions which invalidate all patents, copyrights, etc relating to "xyz". This would be for the greater good and in the public interest. Art

Did you notice that the docket number has been removed? So no way to protest it in a meaningful fashion.

Supposed to have been considered September 21.
Googling "UNITED STATES CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION September 21, 2011 saw", gives me links to an agenda (VolXXXVIII No.50) which says it will be considered October 5. Also links to webcasts of the meetings. A very slow, limited internet connection keeps me from investigating those links. Anybody willing to find out what did/did not happen 9/21?
Probably will never matter to me since I have a perfectly good JET, but I am curious...

Right now (Saturday Oct 1, ~8AM EDT): Committee meeting Oct 5: http://www.cpsc.gov/calendar.html, top portion: Commission Meeting Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:00 a.m. 11:00 a.m. Hearing Room 420
Open to the Public
Matter to be Considered
Decisional Matter: Table Saws Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
A live webcast of the Meeting can be viewed at http://www.cpsc.gov/webcast
--
Best regards
Han

Here's an interesting comment thread on the topic from some months back: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/a-sawstop-killer /
Some interesting tidbits in the comments, such as anecdotal 'evidence' of the big tool companies working together to develop a SawStop alternative, expired prior patents that would fulfill the anticipated performance requirements, etc.
I'm betting the performance requirements pass, major changes are made, and SawStop is out of business in 10 years. Hubris, and all that.
On 9/28/2011 11:17 PM, Mike Paulsen wrote:

A rebuttal to Mr Gass by the PTI issued today 10/18 ... if you're going to argue either way, you still need to read it:
http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/industry/pti-sawstop-table-saw-safety
Interesting section, copied here:
Stephen Gass, a patent attorney, has filed more than 120 U.S. patent applications, and has over 70 issued U.S. patents which pertain to the SawStop technology.
<quote>
Stephen Gass told the U.S. government that it should assume that no manufacturer will be able to introduce injury mitigation technology that does not infringe on his patents.
After the PTI-JV technology became known, SawStop amended one of their then-pending patent applications to purportedly cover any table saw that retracts the blade rapidly within 14 milliseconds using any retraction technique after detecting contact. This patent application which was subsequently allowed by the U.S. Patent Office, is arguably not limited to SawStop's blade brake technology for retracting the blade, but rather is designed to cover any retraction technique, hindering the development of alternative blade retraction technologies and blocking competing inventors from using their own inventions.
</quote>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I believe the only remedy is to allow the gummint to mandate SS use, build a knock off on a saw, sell it, let Gass sue you, file an anti-trust suit against the monopoly, and have the patent seized by the gummint, nullifying the infringement. Then everyone is happy, fingers are safe, and saws aren't priced out of reach.
The only one to lose this time is the frackin' speaking weasel! For a change. <wink>
-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod
On 10/19/2011 12:09 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

There could be other advantages to the SawStop patents. One of the manufacutrers may offer an alternative like a CNC router or laser as a replacement for a spinning saw blade.