Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

Page 5 of 14

For a troll, you're remarkably inept.
Finding the keyboard operational CW entered:

Go tell it to George Westinghouse and his air brake for railcars. Why do you think that presenting a product to the consumer product safety commission is in any way unethical? Because they have the only working product? That isn't unethical. What? They should wait until someone developes a competing product? I am starting to believe that you don't know what he word ethical means. Oh, one last thing, don't say lawyer like its a bad thing. Remember, lawyers are on both sides of a dispute. Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

There it is again the "someone else did it so it must be OK" argument. Still doesn't work.

Trying to push legislation for financial gain is the sign of a lowlife. If the people want it, they will buy it. Let them decide. There is far to much of this "we know what's best for you better than you do" attitude.

Yes, one hires professional scumbag (lawyer) to counter the other guys professional scumbag (lawyer).
Finding the keyboard operational CW entered:

No it's not a someone else did it. It's an idea whose time has come. No legislation is being pushed. Not by a long shot. Your right to swing your fist stops at my nose and that is what we are talking about. Why should I support your widow and kids because you sliced your hand off when there is a safety device to prevent it? Next you'll want to take your seatbelts out of the car and replace all your outlets with 2 prong ones. Oh, if you are ever in court, remember you are represented by a "scumbag" You can have the last word. I'm dropping this Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
BS argument. If someone farts in china, it affects you in a very minute way but it affects you. Want to send troupes over there shove corks up their butts? It'll cost you. No matter what happens, in some minute way you will be effected. I would hole heartedly suggest, that you up and move to Pluto. That will be far enough away that those Chinese farts won't effect you. Yes, if I ever needed it, my goal would be to hire a bigger scumbag than the next guys.

by a "scumbag"
The Other Funk wrote:

OK, where do you stop?
Is it OK if I go skiing?
Is it OK if I ride my motorcycle or ATV?
Is it OK if I go trapshooting?
Is it OK if I take a bath? (lots of accidents in bathrooms)
IOW, you're supporting the proverbial slippery slope.
-- It's turtles, all the way down
Finding the keyboard operational Larry Blanchard entered:

It's ok by me for you to do all of the above. But if tomorrow someone comes up with a way to keep all these activities fun and to keep you safer, I would want you to use it. And if the government wants to make it manditory, I would expect you to either write your senators and congressman.to protest or not, as you wish. BTW, I scuba dive. I make sure my gear is up to date and maintained. I also follow all the proper procedures. I am not against activities that have a risk associated with them, I just don't like cleaning up after people who take irresponsible ones Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:45:09 GMT, "The Other Funk"

You should be the one who agrees the most that government is NOT the answer. In the 60s SCUBA was a totally unregulated sport and just about the time when the government was sticking it's nose in everything the SCUBA industry itself decided to clean up their act and did it wioth ABSOLUTELY ZERO government input. There is no law about who can buy compressed air but without a PADI card (or the equivilent) nobody will fill your tank, you can't get on a dive boat or go out with a guide. It became one of the safest sports in the country and they did it all themselves. If the saw manufacturers want to develop a safer technology, so be it but I don't want the government ramming something down our throats because some little old lady at CPSC who has never seen a table saw decrees it. If we want to continue the seat belt analogy I only have to point to the 1974 cars. Another stupid idea that lasted one year.

Another "non" answer. There's no guarantee that the industry will mandate this new safety feature and considering the history of some of the pencil pushers in high places of corporate finance, the distinct possibility is that it could be panned. In the meantime, people suffer.

Doesn't this suggest something to you? Knowing the government was sticking their nose in things, they decided to clean it up themselves. Can you honestly say it would have happened if the government hadn't been snooping?
You're going to have to do better than that if you're going to argue this point.

Coinsidering this was in the Kennedy and Johnson administrations before there was a CPSC or any other real federal safety organization I say no, they just did it because it was the right thing to do. It is a lot more likely the saw manufactirers would do something themselves these days. We have lawyers on TV now asking stupid people if they want to blame someone for their mistakes and get rich. That was illegal in the 60s
Finding the keyboard operational snipped-for-privacy@aol.com entered:

My point is that I keep up my equipment for my own safety. Woodworking has a set of risks and it is my responsibility to manage them. For the record, I think we will see SawStop or another safety device on a bunch of equipment with or without government regulation. But I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the insurance companies beat the government to the punch. Overall I think a device like SawStop is a good idea. Just like a backup regulator and a buddy. If you don't need the protection, great. I hope I never need it either. But there are more then enough people that will need it. One other thing. It's late and I am headed to bed. What was the deal with the '74 cars and seatbelts? Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 02:29:43 GMT, "The Other Funk"

You couldn't start a 1974 car without fastening your seatbelt
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 21:54:22 GMT, "The Other Funk"

I like what Danny DeVito said in "Other People's Money" - Lawyers are like nuclear weapons. You have them, they have them, and once you use them, they f*** everything up.
I might be paraphrasing his line, but that's pretty much it.

Eton/Cutler Hammer has done a similar thing with AFCIs
It's all right as long as someone else has also done it, is that what you're saying?

you're
I'd guess that he's saying it's not as big a (distasteful word here) as many are making it out to be. With some of the money fiascos and greed that's gone on the last several years with top CEO's raiding the companies that they're supposed to support (insert Enron here), this ranks in the much lower levels of corporate greed.
Fine, you don't like it and many don't, but let's be honest here. It *is* perfectly legal and anyway you want to slice it, there are obvious benefits to this technology, however it comes to the market.
That's my take on it anyway.

Actually I do think it is (distasteful word), bordering on illegal. If a manufacturer can sell by legislation where does it stop?
Moral relativism to the rescue. Sounds like the politicians we have now. They no longer campaign on their strengths, it's all "sure I'm slime but he's worse".
wrote in message news:LxNMg.17220

many
benefits

Sure you're right, but in all honesty with *some* of what's been seen and experienced, most can't put the time or energy needed into dealing with this disagreeable trend. There's just too much other bullshit out there that dwarfs this tempest in a teapot. Sad to say, but that's the way it is and likely to remain for some time to come.
I don't know about you, but I'm honest enough with myself to admit that there's some things that I should be forced to do that would benefit me that I just won't do on my own. Is this one of them? Well, it's just not a big enough factor in my life for me to give it the attention it might deserve. And, I'm definitely not a "freedom of choice at all costs" person. I have a distinct problem with people who use that "freedom of choice under any circumstance" to take part in activities that have every chance of hurting them, especially when it's the rest of the system that is going to pick up the cost for that injury. With government cutbacks in all segments of our society, there's too many other areas that go without due to our taking advantage of that "freedom at all costs". MHO
"Upscale" wrote in message

Specious argument, IMO. When you protect people from themselves you pay an additional cost of increased bureaucracy, plus "the system still pays" (which is in itself a bit of propaganda used to justify/hide increased health care profits); and when people don't suffer from the consequences of their foolish actions, fools become the norm.
... just look around.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06