Constructing wooden gears

My uncle wants to make some wooden gears as used before the days of metal. I haven't had any luck googling and I gave it a hard try.
The project includes powering the gear train with a hit and miss engine to show at an old engine show from what I gather.
Anyone have suggestions on resources?
Thanks,
Wes

Take a look at http://www.clockplans.com /
If that doesn't tickle your uncle's fancy, google "wooden clocks" and you'll find a bunch of others. I know of no current wooden gear makers that aren't doing clocks.
Good luck.
Contact this guy at: http://woodgears.ca /
See: http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/index.html
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Sat, Dec 15, 2007, 3:07pm snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com (Wes) doth sayeth: My uncle wants to make some wooden gears as used before the days of metal. I haven't had any luck googling and I gave it a hard try. The project includes powering the gear train with a hit and miss engine to show at an old engine show from what I gather. Anyone have suggestions on resources?
Metal has been used for what, 2-3,000 years? Might be a bit more specific. If he just want's them for show, be simple enough tocut out of plywood. However, if he wants wooden gears loke those that were used to do actual work, take a look at some of the old mills, sawmills, etc. Water wheel power, all wooden gears. Personally, with a hit-and-miss, I'd go for metal gears. Those were used in boats too, so maybe a prop.

Ask the engineering groups about tooth profile. Efficient cogs are designed to roll against each other to reduce friction.
Materials -- laminated cherry is stable and wears well. American clockmaker Eli Terry used solid cherry and produced clocks that ran accurately for 100+ years.