Considering Used Tools

Page 1 of 3
I just found a TS (Unisaw) and a Jointer coming up for auction. I posted pdf pictures of them on my web site:
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite /
What can you tell from looking (I'm sure your eyes are more learned than mine..). The jointer, at least, appears to have a 4" DC port. It Does happen to say Unisaw on the TS (it it likely to have DC port?). Any guiding thoughts welcome!
Thanks! Bill

The Unisaw is a RT (mirror image of mine) with a Biesemeyer fence. Can't tell how long because the fence is cut off in the picture. It doesn't look too old, but I'm not a Unisaw dating expert.

No information on the jointer.

It should have one. The actual port may or may not be there, of course, but the part should be available.

If you can get the saw at the right price, go for it. Make sure all the pieces are there. Does it run? Rust?

Thank you for your feedback! I suspect the TS runs--and it probably got a share of use too based on the number of tools that are part of the estate. None of them look new.
I'm not sure, but my guesstimate is that it could cost as much as $300 to have the TS moved (even though they wouldn't have to move it very far). Does your saw easily separate into 3 parts that could be moved by two people with a dolly and a U-Haul truck? Don't take the word "easily" too seriously...I just wonder what I'm up against. I may call a mover before I bid! : ) Since you were able to give me the model number, I'll try to learn more about the TS online--thanks!
Bill
Bill wrote:

You'll be able to remove fence, rails, wings and main top. What is left - case and motor - will still be heavy but is easily moved. What is *not* easy is getting stuff from ground level into the truck and vice versa unless the truck has a lift.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The saw is a late model right tilt Uni with what looks to be the commercial 52" Biesemeyer fence. It's a good saw and as others have mentioned, you might check to see if it's 3 phase. Moving it is not much of a problem if you have a helper. The top comes off with 4 bolts and you can leave the fence connected if you are careful and have help to move it. Removing the motor is a good idea. That takes the pressure off the trunnions when moving. After that, it can be wheeled around easily.
Mike O.

Note that these things are shipped from the factory in one piece (top on, wings off) so, other than ease of moving, I don't see a reason to pull it apart. *DON'T LIFT IT BY THE TOP OR WINGS.

With two people and a dolly? *Easily*, whole. It weighs about 600lbs, but it's not awkward at all. You might want to bring a couple of 2x's to use as blocking to lift it so you can slide the dolly under. Getting it into a truck might be more difficult, but a trailer should be a piece of cake.

That's a good plan. Don't get caught in a bidding war, though.

It looks like the front rail of the saw, is not parallel with the edge of the top--it looks like the rail is slanting downward to the right. Does this suggest a problem?

Looks like a bad photo angle to me... the camera angle is introducing distortion.

In case anyone likes old-looking tools, I added a DP.
Is this 1950's vintage?
It's not running on phase-3 power, is it?
I would expect the auction site listing to include whether or not the tools have single or 3 phase motors and some semblance of the working condition of the tools. As best I can tell, they are all single phase, but I can't be absolutely sure. If the auction site is well known, I would expect the bidding on the table saw to reach at least $600. $300 is wishful thinking. Even at $600 to $800, I think the deal would be reasonable, if the motor is single phase. I wouldn't bid more than half the price of a new saw.
Though there may seem to be a discrepancy with the front rail alignment to the table top, that may be a product of the picture. The rail, itself, looks straight. If it is bent, it is bent at the location of the fence and it is hard to imagine how the rail would become bent at that location.
I would expect the jointer to go for about $600, as well. My bidding guesstimates are based on my online auction bidding and observations experience for similar tools.
I wouldn't expect that shop to have updated tools and still have a 1950s vintage drill press. That drill press is much more recent than 1950.
Those are nice tools. It takes a hell of a lot of abuse to damage those quality of tools. I suspect they run and run well. I would suspect they are in good shape. If there is some "damage", it is likely to be minor.
Sonny

Just for a data point, I bought a new LT version of that saw for $1600 last year. $600 to $800 would be a good price, assuming it is in good condition (very little rust, nothing missing, 1PH, and working). Can you inspect it? As others have noted, if it's 3PH it'll be a problem for a home owner. If it's a 5HP it'll take some serious wiring, but certainly not impossible.

I would highly doubt that it's bent far enough to see in a picture. If you can see it, leave it.

?? Is it or not?
You never know. The saw could have been replaced. It looks newer than '50s to me. Again, I'm not an expert.

Look for rust. It can be cleaned, but it'll reduce its value considerably, IMO.

Maybe I'll be the only bidder that morning? : ) Maybe I can get them to throw in a box of blades? : )
Thank you for helping me with the numbers. I'll provide an update with the selling prices in case anyone is curious.
Bill

Sure. Win or lose.
Bill wrote: ...

I'd agree w/ other poster that info ought to be available but this is obviously a home shop and the likelihood of there being 3-phase is quite low. While again it's not possible to be absolutely certain, I'd say the likelihood of those having come from anywhere except purchased new by the owner is minimal at the highest. 3-phase stuff generally will be found in industrial auctions where the gear came from production shop facilities where 3-phase is readily available, not from estate sales.
There may be the one-off fella' you'll find who did buy old industrial gear and add a converter or modify it, but it's not the norm by any stretch.
But, you'll certainly want to know definitively _before_ bidding altho the prices you can expect to see will be significantly less for 3-phase gear unless there's a pro in the audience... :) But, of course, then you have to factor in what the converter's going to run...
On 06/04/2010 10:55 PM, Bill wrote:

The jointer is the Delta 8" Professional model. It's basically this one:
http://www.mikestools.com/37-380-delta-8-professional-jointer.aspx
It's a pretty decent machine. Yes, it will have a 4" dust collection port, but of all the machines in a shop, jointers make probably the least amount of dust. I have that same model in the 6" width, and I got by for years by removing the dust port and simply placing a little trash can underneath the dust chute (which angles downwards away from the cutting area) and 90% of the shavings just fall right into it.
--
What percentage of the driving populace do you suppose actually
understands the rules of engagement at a four-way stop?

I think it was Swingman but not sure used a tow truck with a tilt deck to move their saw. Seemed to me to be a pretty elegant solution. Still not cheap but an easy move with no dismantling required.
Mike M

That is a lot of saw. I agree with dpb that the odds of it being 3- phase are slim. Going by the graphic on the Bies... I'd say no more than 15 years old which is nothing. Look for nasty(deep pitted) rust. It isn't a deal-breaker but should drop the price. The possibility of that front box beam of the fence being bent is almost impossible to imagine.
That jointer is a perfect candidate for a spiral segmented insert cutter head. Great tool.
That DP?....meh...

That is a lot of saw. I agree with dpb that the odds of it being 3- phase are slim. Going by the graphic on the Bies... I'd say no more than 15 years old which is nothing. Look for nasty(deep pitted) rust. It isn't a deal-breaker but should drop the price. The possibility of that front box beam of the fence being bent is almost impossible to imagine.
That jointer is a perfect candidate for a spiral segmented insert cutter head. Great tool.
Thank you all for all of the comments and suggestions. From reading his obituary, it is clear that the original owner was really into his stuff, having a metal shop and a wood shop (and a car collection and an "old auto-parts related sign" collection, other memorabilia, etc...). He probably could have taught us a few good lessons. RIP.